Linksys RE6700 extender after changing the router

Reaction score
So the cable guy came and installed a new router from AT&T. I have a link sys RE6700 a wi-fi extender and I cannot for the life of me access the page to update or change the password. The instructions say to go to 192.168.1.1 . I type that into safari or google and I get nowhere. Lead me to the administrators page please.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Is the AT&T router also handling your wireless network or is there another device doing that?

I have set up several brands of these. The only success I have had was through connecting to them using an ethernet cable. I would then set a manual ip address like 192.168.1.100 in the computer I was using to access it. Then open the browser and type in 192.168.1.1 which would open the admin page of the extender.

You might also have to reset the extender to it's default settings first.

Lisa

M

MacInWin

Which one do you want to get to? I couldn't tell.

If it is the AT&T, turn off the link sys and let your machine connect directly to the new router. I suspect the AT&T is providing the DHCP, so that's the 192.168.1.1, but the link sys may be blocking you from going through it to the AT&T.

M

MacInWin

Dang, Lisa beat me to it! Do what she says. The Ethernet Cable was going to be my next suggestion, but if she knows the router, just start with that.

OP
K
Reaction score
The AT&T router provides the wireless system, it is connected to my desktop using an ethernet cable, It works fine. We have wi-fi in the house. We need and use an extender for longer range, the problem I am having is securing the signal coming off the extender with a password. I am unable to find the administrators page to do that. When I initially set up the system a few months ago everything was fine, monday tech arrives and installs a new router , I plug the extender into the wall socket and everything works, I just can't find where to secure the signal with a password.. Following the linksys website and typing in the 192 number it directs me to websites and not the administrators page. They say use safari or whatever to do it but no luck, make any sense?

UPDATE:
After researching some more I found that my bonjour function was not enabled, once I did that i was able to see the extender signal/icon and adjust the settings. It is now password secure . Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well that is good to know. I do understand your need to secure it. You would not believe the number of people who do not. Or leave default factory passwords on their router.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.