~/Library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
"Clean-up" software like Onyx might or might not root out defunct library items, and might be worth a try. I trust Onyx, but I'd still make a complete backup first.

TinkerTool System has a module to root out orphaned files. I've used it a couple times in the past and it had found leftover files from apps I had long stopped using. I just tried it again and all it found were a couple log files. I think that's more to do with me being more meticulous in using App Cleaner to "uninstall" apps these days, as well as advances in macOS that leads to fewer files littering the system.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I just checked. Now, this behavior may be different on older versions of macOS, but on Ventura with my user Library set to invisible, if I click on the Go menu first, I can then hold down the Option key to show the user Library.

Same as me, LIAB. That's why I posted #11, #15, #18.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No matter how you access it, the size seems pretty standard. About 3.5GB for the System Library and my User Library is about 30GB.
I am not about to fiddle about with either.
There have been a few time where manual removal of a large application like Microsoft Office has required me to remove specific files from eg Application Support but generally using an app's uninstaller will do that for me.
The folders are all generated by applications and utilities so I assume if I eg. delete contacts from my Contacts app they will be deleted from the corresponding folder in the User Library.
In the vast majority of cases I have no idea what the contents of eg. Apple Media Services, Biome, Call Services, Data Access, DES ect, ect, ect actually are, what created them or what they do.
There is no doubt that there are some redundant files accumulated over time but which ones can be deleted safely? This is why I used to recommend an erase, reinstall and selective restore every couple of years. Not so easily done these days.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Likewise, if you hold down the Option key and then click the Go menu, the user Library is available as long as you continue to hold down Option. Release the key, the Library disappears.

I think this behavior has held true since at least El Capitan, when I upgraded from Snow Leopard. Heck, it might have been the case in Leopard, my first OSX version.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Speaking for the present - as I said above, it doesn't matter whether you Click Go first then Option; or whether you hold down Option and then click Go.

In fact, if one clicks on Go first, then you can amuse yourself by repeatedly holding down Option then releasing it, then holding it down again.:sneaky::sneaky:

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In fact, if one clicks on Go first, then you can amuse yourself by repeatedly holding down Option then releasing it, then holding it down again.:sneaky::sneaky:

Ian
You sir are apparently easily amused. But then again, so am I. :)

There seems to be some confusion about how the Go menu deals with the user's Library folder. It seems to me that the last few OS versions have allowed this trick.

Could it be that the different behavior being reported is that some of us have our user library folder set to visible and others have the folder set to invisible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You sir are apparently easily amused. But then again, so am I. :)

There seems to be some confusion about how the Go menu deals with the user's Library folder. It seems to me that the last few OS versions have allowed this trick.

Could it be that the different behavior being reported is that some of us have our user library folder set to visible and others have the folder set to invisible?
Nope. I have my Library visible all the time and the Library never goes away when I use Option. But I do get a shift in the menu if I use the "control" key.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's what I get too. I was just wondering if that was the source of the confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Nope. I have my Library visible all the time and the Library never goes away when I use Option. But I do get a shift in the menu if I use the "control" key.
With the go menu open, pressing the option key shows the "option symbol" next to the menus "Enclosing Folder" line, no other change.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
TinkerTool System has a module to root out orphaned files. I've used it a couple times in the past and it had found leftover files from apps I had long stopped using. I just tried it again and all it found were a couple log files. I think that's more to do with me being more meticulous in using App Cleaner to "uninstall" apps these days, as well as advances in macOS that leads to fewer files littering the system.
I just tried Clean Up Orphaned Files and it asked if I'd removed a user. When i said no it said there wasn't any reason to run this.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I just tried Clean Up Orphaned Files and it asked if I'd removed a user. When i said no it said there wasn't any reason to run this.
It did give me the option to continue anyhow, which I did. It found two entries I deleted and a ton of entries in /Users/SystemAdministrator which I left. However, what is the purpose of this directory? I do any SA stuff from my login.

I tried this app because I was looking for any stuff that might still be in my library from old apps that I may have just dragged-and-dropped in trash. This doesn't seem to do that. Is there any app that does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It did give me the option to continue anyhow, which I did. It found two entries I deleted and a ton of entries in /Users/SystemAdministrator which I left. However, what is the purpose of this directory? I do any SA stuff from my login.

I do not have, nor ever have I had, any such directory on any of my Macs, ever. It sounds like a user you or someone created.

I tried this app because I was looking for any stuff that might still be in my library from old apps that I may have just dragged-and-dropped in trash. This doesn't seem to do that. Is there any app that does?

I was certain it used to be able to do that, but I just installed an app; made sure it had a plist present that AppCleaner would have removed; then removed just the app. TTS didn't find the plist, which I'm certain it used to be able to do, but I could be mistaking that for another app. It also could be a consequence of the evolution of macOS.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I do not have, nor ever have I had, any such directory on any of my Macs, ever. It sounds like a user you or someone created.

I was certain it used to be able to do that, but I just installed an app; made sure it had a plist present that AppCleaner would have removed; then removed just the app. TTS didn't find the plist, which I'm certain it used to be able to do, but I could be mistaking that for another app. It also could be a consequence of the evolution of macOS.

At one time I may have installed root for some reason or another. If so, I deleted it in favor of sudo. That probably left a sysadmin directory around. I'll have to remove it.

I was hoping I'd be able to check for the remains of old apps I no longer use. Someday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At one time I may have installed root for some reason or another. If so, I deleted it in favor of sudo. That probably left a sysadmin directory around. I'll have to remove it.

I was hoping I'd be able to check for the remains of old apps I no longer use. Someday.

I've had root enabled in the past. That sysadmin directory is not related to root. I have no clue what it's from. Maybe you had OS X Server installed in the past?

In other news... I finally realized I was mis-remembering what "orphaned" files are. It has more to do with hard links or symlinks to files that no longer exist. Something along those lines. At least that's the context of what TTS was using. I have seen and used software that can look for "leftover" files from previously deleted apps, although I don't have anything on hand that can do that now. Most likely something like CleanMyMac has an option for it. I don't use that in particular and don't recommend it, though that's more due to how absurdly expensive it is, but I do think it can be useful if used wisely. I do have one called Tidy Up on hand, which has some useful options like looking for preference files older than a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

And just to confirm, that's the way it works with OS X 10.11.x El Capitan and still does in case any user was interested.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I've had root enabled in the past. That sysadmin directory is not related to root. I have no clue what it's from. Maybe you had OS X Server installed in the past?

In other news... I finally realized I was mis-remembering what "orphaned" files are. It has more to do with hard links or symlinks to files that no longer exist. Something along those lines. At least that's the context of what TTS was using. I have seen and used software that can look for "leftover" files from previously deleted apps, although I don't have anything on hand that can do that now. Most likely something like CleanMyMac has an option for it. I don't use that in particular and don't recommend it, though that's more due to how absurdly expensive it is, but I do think it can be useful if used wisely. I do have one called Tidy Up on hand, which has some useful options like looking for preference files older than a year.
Many years ago I did run server. Now I can't remember why.

If you recall the app that looks for leftover files please advise. The version of CleanMyMac I have doesn't offer that option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you recall the app that looks for leftover files please advise. The version of CleanMyMac I have doesn't offer that option.

I didn't know, but a Google search suggests some you might want to try, but I would strongly suggest having a good current working backup clone or otherwise before running any such utility. But everyone has and uses one of those already right??? ;-)

Maybe this:
2 Ways to Delete App Leftover Files on Mac

And if you need more:
mac the app that looks for leftover files

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.