• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

leopard to come out on 30th anniversary?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
yogi said:
Umm, well. BTW Firmware Hacks for 3rd gen? like what? I'm super itnerested, love my touchy ipod!

Actually, I meant on the new A/V. If Apple shipped a giant touch-screen iPod, all of us who still love our 3rd gens can bet that there'll be a firmware hack to let you use the same control scheme (I've always hated the click-wheel).

L

lil

Ocelot could be funnier though :flower:

Mac OS X Lion juts sounds wrong, and as for OS X Tabby...

Vicky

F

Fallooza

my guess, iMac upgrade. why not?

EDIT: how about a true G5 Intel iMac? everyone seems ta call it that anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
yogi said:
Apple released the iPod Nano and the iPod Video within weeks from each other. The new iPod will be the iPod AV, a completely new member of the iPod family.

iPod shuffles should be dumped.

Nano, iPod, AV --> dream lineup

What?! Shuffles should not be dropped; I love mine! I have a 512mb Shuffle and it's just perfect. I think people get "wowed" by the color screens on the other iPods and push the Shuffle to the trash heap. The reality is, it's just a tiny CD player. For example, I wanted something to replace my portable CD player for working out. The Shuffle was a perfect fit. It holds way more than a CD, has an easy interface, and is incredibly small and lightweight. I use it in my car with a front input and also in my home theater system, as well as just for casual listening with my headphones. The battery lasts all day and the sound quality is excellent. To add new songs the next day, just pop it in, drag them over, and go! I think the Shuffles are extremely underestimated just because they don't have a huge hard drive or a screen.

Reaction score
Well I guess there is a market for it out there, it would never hold enough for me, I get very moody and need Track #3458 whenever I want or else I get cranky :) . A shuffle would frustrate me.

But it's tiny, and actually, it could even be of use to me for holding my hearing training clips for music class ... got abot 500 10-second clips @32kb/s.
Don't need a display for that crap.

Reaction score
i hope they release the intel version of the ibook! or a black imac would be pretty cool.

T

teenagemom

kaidomac said:
What?! Shuffles should not be dropped; I love mine! I have a 512mb Shuffle and it's just perfect. I think people get "wowed" by the color screens on the other iPods and push the Shuffle to the trash heap. The reality is, it's just a tiny CD player. For example, I wanted something to replace my portable CD player for working out. The Shuffle was a perfect fit. It holds way more than a CD, has an easy interface, and is incredibly small and lightweight. I use it in my car with a front input and also in my home theater system, as well as just for casual listening with my headphones. The battery lasts all day and the sound quality is excellent. To add new songs the next day, just pop it in, drag them over, and go! I think the Shuffles are extremely underestimated just because they don't have a huge hard drive or a screen.

hi! i have a new shuffle 512 and i was wondering how do you hook your shuffle to your car? anyway i want to hook my shuffle to my car (glxi mitsubishi lancer) and my stereo is pioneer...is there a way to connect my shuffle to my car stereo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
kaidomac said:
The Shuffle was a perfect fit. It holds way more than a CD, has an easy interface, and is incredibly small and lightweight. I use it in my car with a front input and also in my home theater system, as well as just for casual listening with my headphones. The battery lasts all day and the sound quality is excellent. To add new songs the next day, just pop it in, drag them over, and go! I think the Shuffles are extremely underestimated just because they don't have a huge hard drive or a screen.

In that case, how about a bluetooth shuffle for your keyring. Put it next to your computer and it will grab some music, hop into your car and it will transmit (via bluetooth) to your car stereo. I'm amazed nobody has come up with that yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Do you think they will have any sales?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
kaidomac said:

What if the were a 512 MB Nano for the same price as the 512 mb Shuffle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Kar98 said:
In that case, how about a bluetooth shuffle for your keyring. Put it next to your computer and it will grab some music, hop into your car and it will transmit (via bluetooth) to your car stereo. I'm amazed nobody has come up with that yet.

I've wanted BT with iPods for a while but I doubt Jobs will allow the possibility of DRM infringement.

Reaction score
Kar98 said:

Bluetooth transfer speeds and times would make it impossible to *grab* some music. You'll need to heave it in with a cart. Plus it sucks on battery, which isn't really what you'd want. Bluetooth works with low amoutn of data, such as headsets, but assuming you have an MP3 of 128kb/s of 4 minutes lenght, that will take a couple of minutes to transfer compared to the second or two with a usb cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
yogi said:
Bluetooth works with low amoutn of data, such as headsets, but assuming you have an MP3 of 128kb/s of 4 minutes lenght, that will take a couple of minutes to transfer compared to the second or two with a usb cable.

That's fine. The application of the design would be that you put your car keys next to your computer when you come home, and grab them in the morning when you leave. But battery life might be an issue, you're right on that account.

P

piece of apple

the OS's are obviously named after big cats

leapord is also named what it is because, to be honest, isn't "Apple changing its spots". They're becoming a company/brand who knows exactly where the stand ... ahem ... prounce.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
to_tough_to_die said:
What if the were a 512 MB Nano for the same price as the 512 mb Shuffle?

O thou tempter :) I dunno. I think my wife's 1gb Nano is pretty cool, but I like how easy the Shuffle is to hold. Both get excellent battery life, although the Shuffle lasts way longer. For my purposes, I'd stick with the Shuffle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
teenagemom said:
hi! i have a new shuffle 512 and i was wondering how do you hook your shuffle to your car? anyway i want to hook my shuffle to my car (glxi mitsubishi lancer) and my stereo is pioneer...is there a way to connect my shuffle to my car stereo?

What model is your Pioneer stereo? I bought a cheap Aiwa receiver and it has a front audio input jack to allow you to connect music players; you just need a minijack-to-minijack cable (like a headphone cable but the plug is on both ends). If you don't have a jack like that on your stereo, you can either buy a new stereo or see if your Pioneer has RCA input jacks on the back. I've heard of people running a stereo-RCA-to-minijack cable through the dash and hook it up that was as an aux input. A little more work but doable.

Reaction score
Shuffle shouldn't be dropped. If they offered a 512MB Nano for the same price, I would switch. It will most likely cost more.

I read...pcmag.com I think it was, that Apple has gotten two more big cats names for future OS X releases. So, after Leopard, we are likely going to see either "Lynx" or "Cougar".

I dunno about you, but I'm hoping that "Mountain Lion" is in there, maybe for 2010. "OS X ML" anyone?

Wishful thinking...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.