• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Leopard and iWork in June?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.16ghz Intel 2 Core Duo, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD+-RW/DL.
From ThinkSecret.com: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0704leopardjune.html

"Apple is currently planning to release Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard in June, most likely at or around its Worldwide Developers Conference, reliable sources report."

A bit of a bummer, I was hoping it would come sooner, if this true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I just saw the blurb for the WWDC on Apples page. That was more or less what I was expecting to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Well, June will be here soon enough and at least we have something more definite now and that's a plus!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Too bad. I just bought a MacBook with Tiger in it. I have to buy an OS again. Bummer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Too bad. I just bought a MacBook with Tiger in it. I have to buy an OS again. Bummer.

You don't HAVE to, you WANT to :yinyang:

As it currently stands, there's really nothing compelling about Leopard. So I'm not really that psyched by it. Sure, it has Spaces and Time Machine, but I have VirtueDesktops to do Spaces' job, and I have yet to have the need for something like Time Machine.

Now, if one or some of those "secret features" turn out to be so amazing that I would have to be stupid not to upgrade, then it looks like I would be stupid not to upgrade :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it poo's
Miz i guess i will get sucked into upgrading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!
Well as long as it is before June 21 then there is no problem, but if its after Steve Jobs and the rest of apple are liars!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Time machine will consume more HD space right? How will that pan out on smaller drives? say on G4 ibooks that have 40 GB or less? I hope its easy to turn off!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Time machine will consume more HD space right? How will that pan out on smaller drives? say on G4 ibooks that have 40 GB or less? I hope its easy to turn off!

Me too - I hate these "Go Back"-type systems (like Windows' System Restore) that constantly write changes to a database. They add a lot of overhead to the OS and consume more CPU cycles than they're worth (IMO). They also lure users into a false sense of security - at least in the Windows world where your chance of System Restore actually doing something worthwhile is usually about 50/50.

If you store important stuff on your machine, take the time to back it up on a regular basis. External hard drives are cheap and there's a lot of great (read: free) backup software like SuperDuper that makes backups a breeze.

Just my $0.02.

Oh, and Carol247 - this is no more definite than any other rumor. No one but Apple knows for sure, this is just more speculation (but it certainly seems more realistic).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
As it currently stands, there's really nothing compelling about Leopard. So I'm not really that psyched by it. Sure, it has Spaces and Time Machine, but I have VirtueDesktops to do Spaces' job, and I have yet to have the need for something like Time Machine.

Now, if one or some of those "secret features" turn out to be so amazing that I would have to be stupid not to upgrade, then it looks like I would be stupid not to upgrade :bomb:

None of the published upgrades will make me rush out and get it. Time machine could be HDD hungry on a Macbook and Spaces I know I'd never use because I never used it in Gnome on Linux for years (I'm just boring like that). Expose makes me even less likely to need it than I did on SuSE many years ago.

Bootcamp doesn't appeal to me, Parallels is my choice and it works just great. The latest version allowing drag and drop from desktop to desktop can't be beaten by Bootcamp, IMO. Also, the mail and calendar updates don't look compelling, since I use Entourage (which despite being slightly sluggish, is far better than Mail, Calendar and Address Book combined (in my opinion)). In fact I am looking forward to Mac Office 2007 more than OS X 10.5.

Now... if there is something else in the works, I could be interested. Otherwise I'll upgrade as and when Tiger fails to support my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OP
coledog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.16ghz Intel 2 Core Duo, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD+-RW/DL.
Deffinately looking forward to Office 07, but I honestly can't wait for Mail 3 and the new version of iWork. (Possibly with spreadsheet maker)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Me too - I hate these "Go Back"-type systems (like Windows' System Restore) that constantly write changes to a database. They add a lot of overhead to the OS and consume more CPU cycles than they're worth (IMO). They also lure users into a false sense of security - at least in the Windows world where your chance of System Restore actually doing something worthwhile is usually about 50/50.

If you store important stuff on your machine, take the time to back it up on a regular basis.

Ooooh! I didn't realize that. I forgot those take up precious hard drive space. Yeah I must agree.. just learn to back up all your files on a regular basis. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
its quite possible/likely that the new os will be released around the WWDC becuae you have alot of developers there who have worked on it and it is know world wide for new technology.systems beinig released there.

i wouldnt mind it coming out in june

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB DDR, 160GB 7200rpm SATA, Super Drive
Ok maybe not so much for the benefits...

.... but more for having the bleeding edge technology! New stuff is fun, especially from Mac. I'm sure there will be a wealth of news surprises we haven't even thought about under the hood of Leopard. :spook:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.