• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Legacy contact

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have named my son as a legacy contact but apparently not given him an access key. What is an Acces Key?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Alwyn,

This may help as a starter:

But keep posting because we can add things .

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Thanks Ian. The problem may be that, when I set my son up as a Legacy Contact, I failed to set up an Access Key.

I have tried to access Legacy Contact on my iMac but, for some reason it is failing to recognise either my Apple ID or my iCloud ID passwords.

On my iPhone my son is shown as a Legacy Contact but underneath is a message saying 'Access key has not been saved.'

I have emailed him to find out if I sent him an Access key when I set up Legacy Contact. Presumably, if I have sent it to him, I don't need to know what it is as I won't be around when he needs it!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Only too happy to help - if I can!!

According to the Apple website, your Access Key that you created can, apparently, be found as follows:

Go to Settings->Account(top of settings)->Password & Security->Legacy Contact->Contact's Name->View Access Key.

This Apple site is:

Worth a try. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
After adding a legacy contact you should get this dialogue box, print it out and there you have it, just done mine:

1705941669700.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have my son as a legacy contact too and following Ian's excellent directions on my iPhone to "View Access Key." I see a full copy along with the person's name QR code and Passkey. I just took a screenshot of it for my reference because I set it up a year or so ago and although I'm sure I sent it to him I might just check. I am having surgery early next month. :rolleyes:
Assuming you can login to your Apple account you can always remove him and add him again.
Incidentally your Apple ID and iCloud ID password should be the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.