Learning C++ with Xcode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am new to programming and I've been told to start by learning C++. I want to use Xcode 3.0 which came with my copy of Leopard. So here's the deal, I want to use a book that clearly explains programming along with giving tutorials. I really want a book that is specifically for Xcode, because that's what I have. It also should be very basic, beginners guide. Does anyone know of a book like this that exists?

Try the visual quick start book on programming c++
Peachpit: C++ Programming: Visual QuickStart Guide, Adobe Reader - $17.59

It has some guidance on how to use Xcode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
I too am searching for a compiler. I have seen countless threads now saying that there is something called GCC in xCode, but I'm da**ed if I can find that d**n thing! There is a folder somewhere in there called GCC but no app in side. Can anyone actually tell me where to find it?!
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
I too am searching for a compiler. I have seen countless threads now saying that there is something called GCC in xCode, but I'm da**ed if I can find that d**n thing! There is a folder somewhere in there called GCC but no app in side. Can anyone actually tell me where to find it?!
Thanks.

GCC is the actual command-line compiler that underlies Xcode, and that is installed along with it. I'd suggest just using Xcode's IDE, but if for some reason you don't want to use Xcode, you can edit your source files in whatever method you wish to and then invoke gcc directly from the command line in Terminal. The normal path to the executable is /usr/bin/gcc, but /usr/bin is probably already in your shell's default search path, so just typing "gcc" at the command line should find it.

Reaction score
C++ Books

I am new to programming and I've been told to start by learning C++. I want to use Xcode 3.0 which came with my copy of Leopard. So here's the deal, I want to use a book that clearly explains programming along with giving tutorials. I really want a book that is specifically for Xcode, because that's what I have. It also should be very basic, beginners guide. Does anyone know of a book like this that exists?

I suffered the same problem learning C-Builder, and realized I needed a non-object oriented C++ tutor. I looked at bunches, and found what I consider a superior text on general C++, Wiley's Teach Yourself C++, 7th Edition, found here:

Wiley's Teach Yourself C++, 7th Edition, Al Stevens, Book - Barnes & Noble

This provided the foundation I needed for Object C++.

Best luck.

Reaction score
I have been learning C++ with Xcode for around 3 months. I started the course at the beginning of the year and I am currently on lesson 9. The course is extremely well structured, covering all aspects of C++ that you need to know. The teacher is very knowledgeable and explains concepts in an easy to understand way.

I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn C++ but is not sure if they want to do it on their own or whether they need some help from a tutor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.