latest Big Sur update has bricked my 16" MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I downloaded and did the latest BS update this morning.

I carried on using my MBP for a few minutes before shutting the lid and going about my day.

I've now opened the lid to be greeted with a "blank" screen with only a line down the centre and a few pixels at the top lit up (see pictures). The MB is completely unresponsive.

This MB is 14 months old and had a really easy life. Could the update have done this?

I feel physically sick. This is a £2700 laptop and shouldn't have broken already. I still have 2010 and 2015 MBs that are going strong.

Any suggestions anybody???

ETA - have tried resetting SMC and PRAM/NVRAM but no joy.

Attachments

• IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You've held the power button down until it completely shuts down and then pressed it again to start it up and you only get this line?

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
yep
tried safe mode too - no difference
it looks like the GPU is fried or something has happened to the display

I've got a Genius Bar appt booked for tomorrow - but I'm not happy if I have to pay anything for a £2800 machine 2 months out of warranty that was working fine until I updated it this morning!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nick:

Your 16" MacBook Pro is equipped with the T2 security chip. It appears that the T2 has somehow locked you out and nothing shows up on the screen. In other words, a dead Mac.

There is a procedure using another Mac and employing the Apple Configurator 2 that you can use to try and get your MacBook Pro back to life again. What has likely happened is that the update killed the firmware on your MacBook Pro.

But since you already have an appointment at the Genius Bar, it's probably best to let Apple do it. I don't think you have to worry about being charged for the repair as Apple is aware of the problem.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick:

Your 16" MacBook Pro is equipped with the T2 security chip. It appears that the T2 has somehow locked you out and nothing shows up on the screen. In other words, a dead Mac.

There is a procedure using another Mac and employing the Apple Configurator 2 that you can use to try and get your MacBook Pro back to life again. What has likely happened is that the update killed the firmware on your MacBook Pro.

But since you already have an appointment at the Genius Bar, it's probably best to let Apple do it. I don't think you have to worry about being charged for the repair as Apple is aware of the problem.

thanks chscag - I'm confused because it worked for around an hour but it was only when I went to use it some 5-6 hours later that the problem occurred

oh well, they can sort it out for me tomorrow (at no cost I hope)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nick:

Were you by chance using a USB C hub or any hub with your MacBook Pro? Lots of traffic from 16" MacBook Pro owners stating the same problem that you reported.

The latest Apple update to Big Sur (11.2.2) is a special fix that prevents third party non compliant hubs from damaging or bricking your MacBook Pro.

Let us know when you get back from the Genius Bar what Apple found and the reason your MBP was bricked.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no nothing attached at all

just back now - a strange experience as due to Covid they are operating basically a drop off and collect service only.

they'll triage it there and get back to me later today to let me know what they've found. as soon as they do, I'll update :)

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update

just spoke with a technician. the display has a hairline crack near the camera.

I have absolutely no idea how this could have happened as I closed the machine and left it on my bed for the day. When I got back to it it hadn't been touched or moved.

I am at a complex loss as to how this happened.

I now have to stump up £680 for a new display. I could cry.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I was going to say that the line appeared to be more of a damaged LCD than anything. I wonder if something got pressed against the MBP or it was bent in anyway.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've asked my wife and daughter both say they haven't touched it. It was closed shut and on our bed. The only explanation I can come up with is that our dog jumped up onto the bed and somehow landed in the one place that would have led to this damage. And I can't ask him. Well I could but...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear that Nick. That's an expensive repair, at todays exchange rate it equals $952.00.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Nick, was there a device stuck to your display with a slide to cover the camera? I've seen lots that have damaged the display when it's closed .

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, was there a device stuck to your display with a slide to cover the camera? I've seen lots that have damaged the display when it's closed .

Hi Steve

Yes I'd cited one of those blinds on a friend's recommendation. It must have been that - possibly caused it to shut unevenly putting pressure on the top of the screen.

Lesson learned!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.