Late 2013 15" MBP and 4K Monitor - Strange Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hello all,

I have just upgraded from a 30" Dell monitor to an NEC PA322UHD monitor which can run 4K resolutions at 60Hz.

I do have very random issues with OS X 10.1 when it comes to the panel though. When I restart the Mac I get the full 4k resolution at 60Hz and then at the welcome screen it drops to 30Hz?!

The scaled resolutions vary from four options to five and now I can't select the full native resolution only the scaled resolution up to 3200x1800.

My MBP has the dedicated GPU but still is very laggy (Yosemite was a clean install very recently), the MBP sits on a shelf so it is only driving the external display.

It did actually work fine the first day, everything seemed flawless, second day it refused to detect the display, now today scaling options have changed and it is really laggy... :\

Any advice on how to force 60Hz would be greatly appreciated, I understand 4k is new(ish) but it was supposedly supported back on 10.9.3!

I will be upgrading to a Mac Pro with 6/8-core and D700 GPUs early next year as this computer isn't cutting it anymore but I thought it would drive the monitor fine for the time being...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Woke the MBP from standby this evening and monitor is recognised properly, all five scaling options available and it is running at 60Hz perfectly?!

Now my Lacie 2big drive connected via Thunderbolt 2 isn't being recognised in OS X!!! lol

Reaction score
actually go into finder pref and make sure it's turned on external hard drives you should then see a new drive appear on your desktop.

also on the display issue be careful some graphics cards in mac's just don't like hd very well while some work excellent it just depends on the model of card and the drivers being used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.