Late 2008 Mac Hard Drive Fail

Reaction score
I tried installing Yosemite and my computer has went downhill since then. I'm pretty sure my hard drive failed. I need to but a new one, and also want to upgrade to an 8 GB kit. I really don't know anything about computers and hardware, any help on which hard drive and where I can get it would help. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried installing Yosemite and my computer has went downhill since then. I'm pretty sure my hard drive failed.

Firstly…the install of Yosemite has nothing to do with the hard drive failing. Upgrading a computers OS does not cause a hard drive to fail. What we have here is a 6 year-old 2008 computer with a failed or failing HD. This hard drive would have failed regardless if Yosemite was installed or not.

I need to but a new one, and also want to upgrade to an 8 GB kit. I really don't know anything about computers and hardware, any help on which hard drive and where I can get it would help.

Regarding the ram…try:

- Crucial.com
- Other World Computing (OWC)

Regarding the hard drive…you need a 2.5" SATA laptop hard drive. My suggestion is…decide on what size replacement HD you want…then just shop for best price. Try places like:

- Other World Computing (OWC
- Newegg.com

Lots & lots of places to shop for replacement HD's.:)

- Nick

p.s. It would help if you told us what exact model Apple laptop you have…so we can help as best as possible.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal…thanks for the info. Just wanted to confirm it could handle 8gig of ram. And it can…8gig of ram is its max. ram.

But…it must also conform to this to be able to be upgraded to 8gig of ram:

" it is capable of supporting 8 GB of RAM if updated to Boot ROM Version MB51.007D.B03 and running MacOS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" or higher."

Since it's running (or was running) Yosemite…the OS part is met. Would just need to confirm the boot ROM version.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
How do we confirm my Boot ROM version ?... Like I said, I'm clueless. I found some Harddrives on Ebay but I have no idea what the difference is between the numbers. This is a major headache if you don't know what you're doing..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do we confirm my Boot ROM version ?…

If your HD failed…I'm not sure what sort of computer access you have with it at the moment. If you don't have access on this computer at this time…you may need to do this after the HD situation is solved. But to do it you go to:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- More Info
- System Report
- Hardware Report

Make sure "Hardware Report" is highlighted in the left margin of the window. Then browse the info listed on the right side of the window…and you will see the "Boot ROM Version".

Like I said, I'm clueless. I found some Harddrives on Ebay but I have no idea what the difference is between the numbers. This is a major headache if you don't know what you're doing..

Shopping on eBay can be confusing…since sellers may not set up their auctions with clear information. I would say visit the 2 links I mentioned above (OWC and Newegg). Read up on things there…and once you have a better idea of things…then look on eBay. Or skip eBay all together…and just get something from OWC or Newegg.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.