Keychain wont remember passwords

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I backed up my passwords/keychain files by copying them and then deleting them because I sent my computer in for repairs. However, now it wont remember passwords (yes, even when I check the box "save my password in keychain" or whatever). What settings should I check to fix this problem?

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Repair started
Checking keychain configuration for Matt Basile (user ID=501)
Home directory is /Users/mattbasile
Checked login keychain
Permissions incorrect on ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain, should be -rw------- , they are -rwx------
Permissions corrected on ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
Checked default keychain
Checked keychain search list
Checked contents of /Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.keychain
Checked contents of /Library/Keychains/System.keychain
Checked contents of /System/Library/Keychains/X509Anchors
Problems successfully repaired
Repair completed

thats what happens when I do "repair" under keychain first aid

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm Maybe you need to run Apple's Disk Utility to repair disk permissions first, then repair the Keychain. Looks like there is a problem with disk permissions.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
that fixed that red line in the repair log, but keychain still isnt remembering passwords

M

MacHeadCase

Have you tried the most obvious, re-importing the keychain files? In case you didn't know how, launch Keychain and under the menubar go to File -> Import... and navigate to the files, even if you dropped them back into the Keychain folder after you got your Mac back from repairs.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
the only one it'll let me import is the filevailtmasterblahblahblah, and how would importing old passwords fix it not remembering new passwords?

M

MacHeadCase

Because by copying and then deleting them, you broke the link between the files and the app, me thinks.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I think I fixed it, from the edit menu I clicked "make keychain 'filevaultmaster' default" and that seems to have fixed it (with adium atleast)

M

MacHeadCase

Ok well check out to see if it is entirely fixed before resetting the Keychain.

*You posted at the same time I did* :flower:

M

MacHeadCase

Well I'm sorry, I just don't have any other fixes in mind.

Unless another member comes in here to help and save the day, I'd say to you to go and post your question at Apple Discussions and if someone there comes up with a fix, it would be cool if you posted the solution in this thread. This situation could happen to anyone of us here and it would help us all out a whole lot.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
well, the other day I deleted the "filevaultmaster" keychain and then today made a new one with that name. That fixed it for about 10 minutes until I started up safari and it said something about that keychain being moved/deleted and then it automatically made one called "login" and I think so far that one might be working. If not I'll go to the apple discussion page

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.