Keyboard not discoverable and password required

Reaction score
On start up I can not enter my password because the keyboard is not discoverable. I have put brand new batteries in the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
On start up I can not enter my password because the keyboard is not discoverable. I have put brand new batteries in the keyboard.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Please provide: 1) Mac computer (model & year); 2) OS X installed; and 3) Is this a new problem after an upgrade?

Also, do you have an old USB keyboard that you could plug into the back of the computer (I'm assuming you own an iMac)? Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the best tip when using Bluetooth is always have a wired keyboard and mouse on hand for emergencies, installing new software, running some programs such as DiskWarrior etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the best tip when using Bluetooth is always have a wired keyboard and mouse on hand for emergencies, installing new software, running some programs such as DiskWarrior etc.

Harry & Other Gurus - I have an old wired mouse & KB in one of our closets from my PC days - probably should pick up some inexpensive newer replacements that work well w/ Apple computers - SO, what or some of the preferred Apple-friendly rodents & keyboards - nothing fancy or costly please - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nowadays it's hard to find an inexpensive wired keyboard. I've had better luck finding inexpensive wired rodents at places like "Big Lots" (discount store), Wal-Mart, and sometimes at Staples. Wired keyboards are becoming rare. I keep two Apple wired keyboards on hand. One has the old firmware (vintage 2008) and a newer one I just bought at our local Navy Exchange at the Naval Base nearby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nowadays it's hard to find an inexpensive wired keyboard. I've had better luck finding inexpensive wired rodents at places like "Big Lots" (discount store), Wal-Mart, and sometimes at Staples. Wired keyboards are becoming rare. I keep two Apple wired keyboards on hand. One has the old firmware (vintage 2008) and a newer one I just bought at our local Navy Exchange at the Naval Base nearby.

Thanks Chscag - been searching on OWC & Amazon and there seem to be a lot of choices at widely variable prices and a bunch of mixed reviews - seems to be an 'iffy' choice for these USB gadgets - decided to order a combo from Amazon cheaply - if it does not work w/ our iMac, will donate to Goodwill w/o much concern. Thanks again - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.