Keyboard Backlight Not working

Reaction score
Hi,

My keyboard backlight isnt working. When i press the F8 (on/off) key the icon corresponds with the action but at the bottom of the square that shows the level of the light there is a no sign more specifically a circle with a diagonal line through it. This also happens when I press the F9 and F10 keys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? - I've installed Lab Tick almost as soon as I got my MBP.
Gives you control of the backlight to adjust it's brightness as bright or as dim as you want it. Adds a slider to the menu bar just like a volume control for turning it on and setting the level you want. Wouldn't be without it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
the light actually has to be active. meaning cover the two speakers up so its "dark" for the f8 button todo anything.

if you hit it while the laptop thinks the light shouldnt be on , all youll get is that buster sign.

try it, itll work. just put your two hands over the speaker grills, light goes on, or not... hit f8. also make sure its enabled in the keyboard pref.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Lab Tick is the right way to go. I have it on my Leopard machine and it works great. Without it the light sensor was a real annoyance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP (the first one), upgraded ram and HD, and replaced keyboard
I installed a new keyboard after my computer took up drinking wine last thanksgiving. Everything worked again minus the light. THANK you guys for suggesting Lab Tick, what a jewell! As soon as I installed it I turned the light up and voila! I didn't mess the keyboard installation after all. Another cool program that I found is "smc fan control" which allows you to rev your fans up or down (or simply keep taps on realize when they are starting to go).
Thank you guys
Andres.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Late 2009 Top!
Hi, i just had to say it here, because i think my solution may help. Few weeks ago my keyboard backlit stopped working the way it was supposed to. After a while it started to get on my nerves on night so here is what I discovered (ps: i also had/or have a problem with the four/three fingers multitouch recognition, sometimes i have to logoff after i restart to get them working)

unplug if its a portable... Try pressing (left side) these '4' keys at the same time: shift, conrol, option, 'power bottom', your computer will turn off, and when you log in your keys will work again! apple has an article about resetting the 'smc' so you can try other options too for your models. Hope this helps and gets you happy because its not fun buying a 3.8k$ macbook pro, and start installing things because it doesnt work

Reaction score
Brilliant! YES!

Hi, i just had to say it here, because i think my solution may help. Few weeks ago my keyboard backlit stopped working the way it was supposed to. After a while it started to get on my nerves on night so here is what I discovered (ps: i also had/or have a problem with the four/three fingers multitouch recognition, sometimes i have to logoff after i restart to get them working)

unplug if its a portable... Try pressing (left side) these '4' keys at the same time: shift, conrol, option, 'power bottom', your computer will turn off, and when you log in your keys will work again! apple has an article about resetting the 'smc' so you can try other options too for your models. Hope this helps and gets you happy because its not fun buying a 3.8k$ macbook pro, and start installing things because it doesnt work

txt0pr : you are a god send. that was it... not only did my illumination start working again... everything is working so much faster. I can't thank you enough... (I even joined this forum just to post this thankyou!!) The first two times I did the 4 button restart it sent me to a perma blue screen, (which was a bit worry some) but then after a regular restart the third time everything started up smooth and speedy. Thanks. I can only guess it may be to scraping barnacles off a boat hull, or a maybe even a colon cleans... stuff i didn't realize wasn't working is working great again. I really thought my old powerbook powerPC G4 was over the hill, but now it feels fast like the day i got it.
okok enough gratitude. YEAH!

Reaction score
I just got my MBP back from the Apple Store after having a Faceplate/power button and power supply replaced (thank you Applecare). But, after I got home my keyboard will not light up. Ticks me off considering I booted it up in the store....but there was too much light to notice if the keyboard lights were working. I tried all your solutions, with no luck. I do also have the lights turned on in the preferences. You would think the techs would notice. Any other thoughts? I have another Apple store apt. set for Monday.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only suggestion I have is take it on back and let them get it working. In the meantime before the appointment, try doing a SMC reset. Who knows, that may bring the keyboard lights back to life.

Reaction score
I just got my MBP back from the Apple Store after having a Faceplate/power button and power supply replaced (thank you Applecare). But, after I got home my keyboard will not light up. Ticks me off considering I booted it up in the store....but there was too much light to notice if the keyboard lights were working. I tried all your solutions, with no luck. I do also have the lights turned on in the preferences. You would think the techs would notice. Any other thoughts? I have another Apple store apt. set for Monday.

Resetting the SMC fixed my backlight issue, but before I had it solved I read that the "power connector" or whatever that connects to the backlight is very easily pulled or plucked out when working inside the MBPs. There's a good chance it got disconnected during your last service call.

Reaction score
Thanks!!

I installed a new keyboard after my computer took up drinking wine last thanksgiving. Everything worked again minus the light. THANK you guys for suggesting Lab Tick, what a jewell! As soon as I installed it I turned the light up and voila! I didn't mess the keyboard installation after all. Another cool program that I found is "smc fan control" which allows you to rev your fans up or down (or simply keep taps on realize when they are starting to go).
Thank you guys
Andres.

I will never get to THANK YOU enough guys....i spilled some soft drink over the function-key area of my macbook pro keyboard and it was't working at all when activated or deactivated from the system-preferences panel...i was getting ready ($) to buy another one...but just i don't know why i started looking for possible solutions to this ...say...keyboard lamp replacing or so?...but the i read about Lab Tick...installed it ....and IT WAS ALIVE AGAIN!!! ....i couldn't beleive my eyes....it works PERFECTLY....so if this happened to you too....give it a shot! ......

THANK YOU ...
THANK YOU ...
THANK YOU ...
THANK YOU ...
THANK YOU ...
THANK YOU ...!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.