Just upgraded to latest Ventura - HP ENVY 4520 will print, but not scan

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Any advice from members with HP Envy 4520 printer regarding how to get the printer to scan. According to the HP website, there are no drivers for Ventura.

But there may be alternative ways of getting the printer to scan?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I use HP Smart for my Envy 6020e, as there is no drivers as I would have expected with Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried to open the scanner from System Settings > Printer & Scanner? Select your printer, then use the Open Scanner button.

I have this as an option for my 6 year old Epson all in one printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried to open the scanner from System Settings > Printer & Scanner? Select your printer, then use the Open Scanner button.

I have that option, however the OP says there is no driver for his printer, ergo his printer will not show in Printer & Scanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If the driver was there before the upgrade, it should still be there using the old driver.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Great response, as I would expect from you; but no option available.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was the printer and scanner both previously working before the upgrade?

Did you try HP Smart like previously posted by @Jimmysb?

Also, you can change the macOS version to macOS 13 on the website,

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was the printer and scanner both previously working before the upgrade?

Yes, definitely.

Did you try HP Smart like previously posted by @Jimmysb?

Yes. Not an option.

Also, you can change the macOS version to macOS 13 on the website,

Don't think so.

Here is a link to HP re Ventura:

I'm sure there are other options such as VueScan - not tried this yet.

And thank you all for your interest and responses.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
But there may be alternative ways of getting the printer to scan?

Does your Mac OS still include Image Capture.app, and does it work for scanning with that device??

And then of course there's always the commercial ViewScan that should work. It supports just about every scanner but you couldn't check on his site in the list of compatibility scanners.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
HP Printer/Scanner owners, please don't get upset, but...........
I see more and more posts here of people asking forhelp to get their HP product working with a Mac.
For as long as I can remember, and that goes back a lot of years, HP never really supported their products properly when it came to working, and continuing to work, with macOS.
When I need a new printer or scanner, HP is not even on my list of manufacturers.
Is there something unique or specific that HP printers/scanners offer compared to the others?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On the other hand, I have two HP printers presently in service, printing and scanning wirelessly to two Mini's and two MBPs, running various macOS versions from Ventura to Catalina.

So, to answer your question, I don't think there is anything unique or specific about HP. They aren't very supportive of Mac, as has been reported, but then, I've never needed extraordinary support beyond the drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HP Printer/Scanner owners, please don't get upset, but...........
I see more and more posts here of people asking forhelp to get their HP product working with a Mac.
For as long as I can remember, and that goes back a lot of years, HP never really supported their products properly when it came to working, and continuing to work, with macOS.
When I need a new printer or scanner, HP is not even on my list of manufacturers.
Is there something unique or specific that HP printers/scanners offer compared to the others?
When I bought my Mac last December I had an old HP deskjet, that had run fine on Windows, yet I could not find a specific driver for the Mac, and had to use a generic one. It would not print properly, however if did have WiFi issue on Windows, but this was connecting to the router, so decided to buy a new one, I did go for HP, and it does work well, but I am beginning to wonder how long it will be supported on the Mac.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may have a SOLUTION:

Open Finder > Applications > HP Easy Scan app . Double Click to open it. This is what you will see:

S1.jpg

Having placed the item to be scanned on the HP Printer (as it says above), Click on Scan (top right) and the scan will proceed. When done, you have various options (eg Batch mode, bottom Left). When ready to save the scanned doc, Click on the Send icon (bottom, far right). This will open options (such as send to pictures etc), choose Send to Folder and navigate to wherever you want and you can choose the Format.

NB I have not found a way of selecting which part of the document to scan - it always scans the whole document/picture etc.

I am ashamed to say that I didn't know about the HP options/apps within Finder > Applications because I've never needed to use them. I have always scanned from within the Printer (System Preferences/Settings > Printer).

Hope this might help someone else:);)

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is what I found;
Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 6.07.40 pm.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It seems like this is the only way now.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Rod,

The difference is that you showed was HP Smart for Desktop, I assume was an app from Apple Store?

Mine came with the Printer and called HP Easy Scan.

But, now I have two options - thanks for that(y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, now I have two options - thanks for that(y)

Maybe even more according to Apple's support page that specifically supports scanning in macOS 13: Ventura using Image Capture:

Scan images in Image Capture on Mac

- Patrick
=======

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one, Patrick. Of course, it mainly applies to images. In my case, scanning is 99% documents.

But your diligence in seeking a solution is much appreciated.(y)(y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

One thing that comes to mind that often happens at the local big store outlets in our area and online is the HP printers are often on super sale and often at some excellent money-saving prices, and some HP models get some excellent reviews and I think some still regard their build quality as excellent then they certainly used to make some "built like a tank" type models, inkjet and laser toner models.

But as mentioned here and elsewhere, many Mac users are happy with their HP printer choice and they seem to work well for them.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one, Patrick. Of course, it mainly applies to images. In my case, scanning is 99% documents.

I never knew there was really any difference, whether scanning an image or a document, would seem to be the about same thing to me. The scanner just needs to duplicate what it sees and hopefully at a proper clear-to-read resolution.

Of course, models with automatic document feeders can make the job of scanning multi-page documents much easier.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.