Just switched and praise and questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 in iMac late 2013. i5 4570/ 8GB/ 1 TB
Hello,

I've been a long time PC user and tech support for many people. I have used GNU/Linux since around 1999 (I have a System76 laptop).

I never understood why people buy Apple computers. I always thought the price was high and never understood why people were happy running old versions of the Apple OS. I am starting to understand the appeal.

Last night I decided to try out Bootcamp and install Windows 7. Everything installed just fine and there were no issues except somehow my Mac OS disappeared as any kind of option to use (user error I am sure). Windows also failed to update after sitting and staring at the screen while the computer was trying to update, I wondered why I was even tainting the experience with Windows. The screen on this computer is just wonderful and Windows was making the screen look a bit bad and was not giving me anything except a PITA and a comfort of knowing that all the software I have purchased up to this point in my life would work.

So, I got the computer working again and I am happily in the newest OS for this machine.

I now think I understand the reason people pay the what seems to be a higher price for Apple products. The elegance is something I have never experienced before. The screen is, well, amazing and this isn't even a Retina display (late 2013 27 inch base model). I am loving the experience for sure.

I do have a question if I may. I see some people running five year old machines that are running Mountain Lion (for example) and don't understand. Coming from Windows and Linux one is taught that the newest updates bring security fixes and enhancements that are truly needed.

Another thing is the fear of the machine being outdated by support. I had an AMD 3000+ machine not long ago that could run Windows 8.1 albeit a bit slow, but I was not locked out because of the age of my machine. On this computer this might not be possible? Latest and greatest always not the greatest?

I saw one person recommend to another not to update to 10.10.X if they did not see a need to? Is it somehow about choice and I need to ditch all I have learned and start over with a fresh way of thinking? Help me understand please.

Loving the computer and glad to be starting my journey among those of like mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi Corbintech!

I too have come over from the world of Windows. I switched to a mac a little less than 2 years ago. I work as an IT so I still deal with Windows machines and servers at work.

What I have discovered - Windows people will cling to old versions of the OS just as Apple people will. Until we are force to do it by lack of updates or more likely, a hardware or software issue. Take for example how many are still running XP ( I saw it on a register in a Subway just this past Wednesday.) Apple uses tend to get attached to a version of OS X and don't want to let go and they don't really have to. Windows people tend to get shoved to the next version due to security issues and trying to avoid viruses.

One thing about an apple computer is they tend to be very reliable and will run for many years. Most Windows consumer machines are looking at a three year life span. Apple machines last five plus years. I have purchased used a 2007 and a 2009 macbook. They are both running Yosemite just fine today. I would never consider doing that with a windows machine. Currently Yosemite will run on macs that are 7 or 8 years old - depending on the model.

As for security updates - most apple users are not that worried if they want to keep an older OS X version. There is so little malware/viruses in the wild for OS X (and some will say there are none) they are not really worried. And truthfully, careful internet browsing coupled with ad blocking extensions takes care of 99.9% of all issues. Currently Apple supports 10.7 (Lion) and up.

As for Yosemite - it had some rough patches when it first came out but Apple quickly got them fixed. I have found 10.10.2 to be very stable and I trust it.

I think I answered all your questions. Enjoy your mac! ;D

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 in iMac late 2013. i5 4570/ 8GB/ 1 TB
Hi Corbintech!

I too have come over from the world of Windows. I switched to a mac a little less than 2 years ago. I work as an IT so I still deal with Windows machines and servers at work.

What I have discovered - Windows people will cling to old versions of the OS just as Apple people will. Until we are force to do it by lack of updates or more likely, a hardware or software issue. Take for example how many are still running XP ( I saw it on a register in a Subway just this past Wednesday.) Apple uses tend to get attached to a version of OS X and don't want to let go and they don't really have to. Windows people tend to get shoved to the next version due to security issues and trying to avoid viruses.

One thing about an apple computer is they tend to be very reliable and will run for many years. Most Windows consumer machines are looking at a three year life span. Apple machines last five plus years. I have purchased used a 2007 and a 2009 macbook. They are both running Yosemite just fine today. I would never consider doing that with a windows machine. Currently Yosemite will run on macs that are 7 or 8 years old - depending on the model.

As for security updates - most apple users are not that worried if they want to keep an older OS X version. There is so little malware/viruses in the wild for OS X (and some will say there are none) they are not really worried. And truthfully, careful internet browsing coupled with ad blocking extensions takes care of 99.9% of all issues. Currently Apple supports 10.7 (Lion) and up.

As for Yosemite - it had some rough patches when it first came out but Apple quickly got them fixed. I have found 10.10.2 to be very stable and I trust it.

I think I answered all your questions. Enjoy your mac! ;D

Lisa

Thank you very much.

You did answer my questions and now I will just enjoy the experience and not worry about the things I worried about in the Windows world.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
Thank you very much.

You did answer my questions and now I will just enjoy the experience and not worry about the things I worried about in the Windows world....

Here's a big difference: if your Windows machine ever becomes non-bootable and you must re-install Windows, it generally necessitates re-installing all your apps. The fact your files are OK is small consolation if you have dozens of apps to reinstall, each requiring authentication. You can end up having to call or email many different companies to get the validation codes. The process can cost you a week or more. This is because the registry is rebuilt when Windows is installed.

By contrast in the rare event OS X cannot boot, you just re-install and every app and icon is exactly where it was. Re-installing Windows is a productivity disaster; on OS X it's a non-issue.

Likewise with Windows OS updates vs OS X updates. Windows requires frequent updates, the update process itself can malfunction and require manual installation of individual updates. By contrast OS X updates are less frequent, lower impact and don't require as many reboots.

OS X is definitely not perfect but in several key areas it is much nicer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.