Just ordered a Macbook

Reaction score
Now that Leopard won't be around for a while I ordered a Macbook today. For my needs any rumored hardware, graphic card, or whatever upgrades are irrelevant so I didn't have much reason to wait. It is hard to part with my Compaq Presario with Windows 98 SE which is still in relatively good condition after 8 years of on and off again use. I guess all things must pass on. I'll update after I get it and start using it. My greatest fear is that my son will fall in love with it and force me to get a used/refurb for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
It is hard to part with my Compaq Presario with Windows 98 SE which is still in relatively good condition after 8 years of on and off again use. I guess all things must pass on.

When I first read your post, I thought that might be sarcasm, then I realized it wasn't. :) Speaking as someone who has an iMac and bought a MacBook today, I can say that as soon as you open the box, you'll forget you ever owned a Compaq or used Windows 98. Or 2000. Or XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
congrats!!!!!

by the way i loved win95

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Congratulations! It's always exciting to try something new. I'd actually think that your biggest fear is that you'll like it so much you'll get a bunch of crazy accessories. I bought a Mac Mini in December, and now I've also got a 17" MacBook Pro, and will soon have an AppleTV. Accessories are the evil thing - Apple does a great job of making everything work together.

OP
P
Reaction score
I can't say that I am so attached to my Compaq, it is just that I have been spoiled with a relatively trouble-free history of usage.

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I have a Sager (it's only 3.5 yrs old, not 8) and it's been a really nice, reliable machine. Though it won't be my main travel laptop any more, I hope we can keep using it around the house for a few years yet.

If it serves any sort of purpose or can serve a purpose of any kind (media server, music server, tv recording via external HD, etc.), then hang on to it and keep using it until it won't work any longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Congratulations on your purchase. At first you will be a little confused with the OS. Mainly you will shocked at how simple everything is and how it just tends to work.

Important things to learn are the function keys, F9 to show all windows, F10 to show windows of the current app and F11 to show the desktop. It took me a while to find out about these. It does seem at first like you will have a million windows open and no way to select one.

Btw, The quality of Windows peaked at Windows 2000 and it's been downhill from there :)

OP
P
Reaction score
The old laptop will hang around for a while. When I ordered a copy of Windows XP for Parallels from Tiger Direct (I still need Windows for some electronic text collections), I also ordered a wireless card so that one of my kids can use it to surf the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Congrats and welcome! You'll love the mac once you get used to it. There is a learning curve, but you'll find lots of helpful info here on this forum. I do use bootcamp for times when I want to play games or absolutely have to run windows (for work mostly).

OP
P
Reaction score
My laptop is one its way from China and I just noticed a neat thing. It left China on April 20 at 2:35 p.m., but here it was still April 19. So theoretically it could make it to America, be scanned, and possibly have that listed as some time before April 20 at 2:35 p.m. My computer has figured out the secret of time travel! I guess you can say that I am looking forward to getting it, whether it will be before or after it came into existence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Congrats on the new Mac! You'll love it! =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My laptop is one its way from China and I just noticed a neat thing. It left China on April 20 at 2:35 p.m., but here it was still April 19. So theoretically it could make it to America, be scanned, and possibly have that listed as some time before April 20 at 2:35 p.m. My computer has figured out the secret of time travel! I guess you can say that I am looking forward to getting it, whether it will be before or after it came into existence.

That's that International Date Line thing. Coming from Australia to Los Angeles, for example I left at 5PM Sydney time and arrived on the same day in Los Angeles 6 hours before my departure time! This despite about 15 hours of flight time.

China's on the same side of the globe.

You're gonna love your new Mac!

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes! My Macbook traveled back in time. It left Shanghai at 2:35 p.m. on April 20 and arrived in Anchorage, AK at 11:40 a.m. on April 20. While back in the real world, Airport Extreme arrived and is up and running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I don't think it traveled back in time, I think it just crossed the International date line... or did it travel back in time? (cue twilight zone theme song).

Reaction score
When I first read your post, I thought that might be sarcasm, then I realized it wasn't. :) Speaking as someone who has an iMac and bought a MacBook today, I can say that as soon as you open the box, you'll forget you ever owned a Compaq or used Windows 98. Or 2000. Or XP.

I completely agree. I have a compaq presario notebook....once I got the macbook, i don't even use the compaq anymore. Unfortunately, for work purposes I have to keep it around, since my wife uses it.....BUT, I'm sure it wont be long before she'll want me to get here a macbook as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2G

That's the new iTime module for Tiger... When it Absolutely, Positively Has To Be There Yesterday...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Well, congrats on the new MacBook. Youll love it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
That's the new iTime module for Tiger... When it Absolutely, Positively Has To Be There Yesterday...

LOL, man I wish I had ordered iTime now but I didn't think it was worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2G
LOL, man I wish I had ordered iTime now but I didn't think it was worth it.

That's the best about iTime! You can order it now, and receive (have received?) it back when you got your new computer! Of course, this doesn't explain why you'd choose to order a copy today if you GOT it with your new machine... :confused:

OP
P
Reaction score
The lovely Fedex woman just delivered my Macbook and it is already up and running. Setup went fine, it recognized my wireless network w/o any problem, performing updates as we speak. You'll be hearing more from me later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.