Just need a bit of advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have my boss's 2019 MBP which is still running Big Sur. It started to act up and upon inspection it was found to have a whopping 8.9GB of available space on its 512SSD. So I have now removed enough to give me 135GB of space - and a miracle occurred! It is running great again! Big surprise. Anyway...

I have run Onyx, will do a backup with SuperDuper and now plan to update it to Somoma. That is jumping several OS versions. System Prefs is showing Somoma as recommended. I guess I am just needing opinions. Does anyone know of any issues updating to Somoma from Big Sur???

There is an update for Big Sur available too but given his update history and my ability to get my hands on his MBP for servicing, it most likely will not get updated again until it starts messing up again.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You might want to read this:

It has some ideas to think about.

When did 32 bit go away? I don't recall the cutoff.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32-bit support started to go away with Mojave and then finalized in Catalina. He has Big Sur which is after Catalina so I am not concerned with that. Also this is an Intel i7 so not dealing with Apple Silicon.

Currently using SuperDuper to make a clone. I did discover when I went to update apps I can't update iMovie, Pages, Keynote, or Numbers because the OS is out of date. So an updating I will go!

Lisa

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Install of Sonoma went well. All is good! I have no problem with updating my own stuff the minute an update comes out but I hate doing it on other people's computers - especially my bosses.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I feel the same way about updating my wife's 2018 MBP.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.