Just Installed Norton Anti Virus

M

menace3054

:mad: wow this officially made my computer slow as crap. it started up slow, it runs slow, it does everything slow. im taking this off as soon as its done scanning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah NAV is not good for macs, not at all. No reason to have it either.

OP
C

Cloudane

It does the same to PCs (for which I now use Panda Antivirus), it totally grinds everything to a halt.

As for the Mac, is there even any need? :) Not from what I have ever gathered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Cloudane said:
It does the same to PCs (for which I now use Panda Antivirus), it totally grinds everything to a halt.
I used to run Norton auto protect on my wintel machine. It didn't slow me down. I did eventually stop using it when I setup daily virus scans.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
To answer the question of why we need virus scan for Macs: also protects us from security holes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
My Norton AV doesn't slow me down at all. Check ur settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I used to run Norton AV on my Mac until I just started using Virex since it's free with .Mac. Neither slowed down my machine.

OP
I

Icarus

I'm getting Norton when I get to school...my college gives it away for free. (w00t!)

OP
C

Cloudane

Typical example of Norton, I just had a PC in that someone wanted fixing because "it's gone very slow". A look at task manager showed that a process called 'System' (*not* the idle one, but one actually called system) was using up 60% of the CPU. After trying various things, eventually I turned off Norton's Autoprotect and ta-da... System process went to 0% and the system was usable again. I kicked it out and installed Panda and it's been fine since.

OP
M

menace3054

Its norton auto protect that fudges things up. I disabled it, and left norton on my machine and everythings ok now. I agree that its pointless to have, but i want to make sure that I dont get a PC virus, and transmit it to someone else though email or to my desktop

OP
T

tariq

IMO, the only reason to use AV software at this point is if your Mac is connected to an important Home or Office network composed of other Windows machines. Since Windows-based infected files can still be sent to a Mac, you don't want to be exposing them to other computers (on the network) inadvertantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PowerBook G4 1GB ram 1,33Ghz superdrive,
iam using NAV too but i really dont know why iam using it because everybody says dont use it there is no viruz for mac....but why do companies make such programs... just want to get richer......i think i am going to uninstall it ...

OP
C

Cloudane

Like Tariq says, I think it's mainly so that you don't inadvertently spread Windows viruses around (through the sharing of files e.g. by disc, P2P etc) even though they don't affect your Mac. However it's so unlikely to happen to anyone except some careless warez junkie trading stacks of stuff on P2P that it isn't worth wasting resources on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Absolute Zero said:
To answer the question of why we need virus scan for Macs: also protects us from security holes.
I guess a lot of people missed that...

OP
C

Cloudane

Or maybe they didn't get it. How does a virus scanner protect from security holes? Don't patches and firewalls do that?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Absolute Zero said:
I guess a lot of people missed that...

I did not miss it. A anti-virus application can not stop anyone from attacking a security hole.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, that's not what I hear...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.