*** just happened?

S

StarManta

I was ripping one of my friend's CDs, and all of a sudden my PB's screen dimmed, and it told me in 4 languages that I needed to restart, and told me to hold the power button for several seconds.

***? Is this some kind of new kernel panic or what? (I'm running Panther)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Yeah, that's a kernel panic.

OP
A

adam80

Congrats on your first kernal panic! just kd yeah that really sucks when that happens, as far as I know the kernal panics have always showed up like that, I could be wrong though.

OP
S

StarManta

Is there usually a pattern to kernel panics? for example, I was trying to rip a CD (somewhat scratched) when it happened - if I tried to rip the same CD is it likely to panic again?

OP
A

adam80

Their usually is a pattern, when ever I got a kernal panic and I tried to do whatever caused the kernal panic the first time, it would cause another panic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I have owned my computer for about 2.5 years now.. I have never seen a kernel panic :)

OP
S

StarManta

marksolomos: Something goes seriously haywire way down in the guts of the OS, and it's all like "Crap, what's going on?" and the processor is like "AUGHHH!" and Darwin's like "AAUUGHH!" and it tells the screen to tell the user to reboot and the user's like "AUUGH!".... or something to that effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
*rofl* well I hope that I never see one.. and if I havent seen one in 2.5 years, my guess is that it's probably pretty likely I will not see one any time soon.. then again.. Im thinking of upgrading to Panther and maybe then I will actually see one.. maybe I won't upgrade.. ugh! decisions decisions *grin*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I've had two, but apparently they were freak occurances since they happened months ago.

OP
T

TylerMoney

I've yet to see one. Murlyn, you must switch to panther...it's so wonderful.

OP
S

StarManta

No, I was on Panther when it panicked.

I think Panther has a different panic than the old versions; I saw a picture of one a little while ago with a normal screen but Terminal-like text over top of it, whereas this one was nice and pretty. (Heh, OSX even dies pretty now...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.