Just got my 13" 2020 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I ordered one of the new 13" 2020 MBP's from Apple on May 5th and got it today. Actually, when I placed the order I had not realized ordering had just opened up the day before. This was my first mac order directly from Apple. I have purchased several used macs but never a new one until my 2017 MBP base model which was on sale at Best Buy. While the 2017 was great for casual use, it did not handle Photoshop smoothly or Premiere Pro at all. Well okay, I admit to being spoiled but I want snappy and fast when I work. Also, there was the butterfly keyboard issues and from day one I had kept a cover on the keys. While I had no issues with the keyboard, I hated the feel of the keys when typing. Plus, here lately I have had some interesting issues with its graphics. Two crashes/panics and I have noticed some hesitancy when minimizing apps. Not sure what it is but it could be because it found out I was replacing it and had sold it. They can get their feeling hurt...:rofl

So on to my new baby! So far I love love love the new keyboard. It has a nice level of travel to the keys and it is quieter than the 2017 keyboard. I had never used migration assistant before. I was surprised it went really fast. In less than 30 minutes all my stuff had transferred and the new one looked identical to the 2017. WOW!

I have been working on a rather large project lately. I have been creating a virtual graduation for the high school from where I retired. I moved the project to the 2020 MBP and did a quick render/encode of a 12 minute video. It took about 12 minutes which I find amazing given it was still indexing and I have a ton of transitions and special effects in it. It got a bit warm but not uncomfortably so - plus I never heard a fan kick in.

I did a built to order. It has the 10th generation i7, 16gb of memory and a 512gb SSD. I did wonder if I should have gotten 32gb of memory. I checked out the activity monitor when it was encoding and memory used got up to 10gb but it still handled HD video easily. I have two weeks to decide and I plan to stress it a lot. I think 16gb will be fine but if not I will return it for a 32gb model and may even through in a 1tb SSD.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds awesome Lisa...great to hear that the 2020 MBP is doing so much better than the 2017.

I know we would probably classify you as a "power-user"...given the projects you work on. I am a little surprised that a 2020 13" MBP would satisfy your needs (or mostly satisfy your needs)...given that 13" MBP's have no dedicated GPU. But it does sound like the 2020 13" is doing fine with the integrated GPU.:)

Also thanks for mentioning how unacceptable you found the butterfly keyboard mechanism on your 2017 MBP to be. I'm thinking about getting a newer MBP...and would like to get the new 16" MBP with the "back to the future" scissor mechanism. But since the 16" MBP is pricey!!!...I was thinking about getting a 2-3 year old 15" MBP to save on purchase $$$.

I'm guessing I may find the butterfly mechanism unacceptable as well...thus no 2-3 year old 15" MBP for me. Lol

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Now that you got your 13" MBP issues resolved...now we need to work on getting you faster internet at home!;)

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick - Now that you got your 13" MBP issues resolved...now we need to work on getting you faster internet at home!;)

Right! But I don't look for it to happen soon. I went into work today just to set up my new baby. That is why things went so fast!

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
A big congratulations to you Lisa. I dunno If you are like me but the excitement of getting a brand new computer is pretty special, especially if you can transfer all your data over without fuss and get it all set up first try. The combination of anticipation mixed with trepidation followed by relief and pride is pretty unique.

As for putting it through its paces you might like to instal iStat Menus. If you don't have it already. The CPU display is really handy and quite comprehensive, good when keeping an eye on RAM. You get an "at a glance" menu bar graph and an in depth window if you click on it.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod! Actually I have iStat menus installed as it came over with migration. Now did I think to look at it????? I will now! Thanks for the reminder.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Congrats! There's few things that bring me as much quick jolts of joy than unwrapping a new computer :) Looks like a nice setup, probably the way I would spec it too. I would love the 32gb of ram, but $400 is too much. 16gb is more tan enough for a small laptop IMO.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This could be all Rod’s fault ;D. - I checked my new baby using iStat and well, I decided to send my 13“ MBP back. I had ordered the i7 with 16GB of memory and a 512gb SSD.

I put it through it’s paces with Premiere Pro and encode a couple of short 4-5 minute videos. While it performed well the memory stress was significant. PP used 11+ gb of memory and it took 22 minutes. It was warm on the bottom of the case but it did not get hot. And while the fans ran, I had to hold it up and listen to hear them - very quiet. Internal temps were acceptable and the CPU was pushed but it handled the load well.

I don’t expect encoding speed to be as fast as my PC editor with it’s 16 cores Ryzen threadripper plus 64gb of memory. I just want to make sure I have enough memory for PP to spread out in and do a little future proofing if I can.

So I am back to waiting. Delivery date June 18-25. I upgraded the i7 to 32GB and a 1tb SSD.

Back to waiting.....

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
SOunds like a solid upgrade! What was the total if you don't mind me asking? I think you will soon find out that the more ram you have, the more ram your computer will use. Sometimes the way ram is stored as memory is crazy on Mac OS. All I have open on my Mac Pro is Chrome and Preview, and I'm using 19.2gb out of 64. Sometimes it's a good thing that it uses as much ram as it can, but knowing how much it uses messes with my mind. LOL

And iStat though....what a great utility app for Mac OS! I love it, especially the website version.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
All I have open on my Mac Pro is Chrome and Preview, and I'm using 19.2gb out of 64. Sometimes it's a good thing that it uses as much ram as it can, but knowing how much it uses messes with my mind. LOL

Quite right, having the memory used efficiently is a good thing.

Otherwise it would be like having a hot rod with a huge motor but running it with a governor installed to limit its power output.

Certainly nothing wrong with having a good part of ones installed memory working, it sure isn't doing anything or anyone any good if it's just sitting there doing nothing.

- Patrick
======

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The total was a bit tough and one of the reason I went for the 16GB at first. The 32GB upgrade added $400. Total is $2599 with tax $2793. Yes it is an ouch but at one point in my life I spent over $3000 for a Windows laptop that was, in it’s day, a beast (and weighed 12 pounds!). I used it for something like 8 years to edit video, run projection software at events, capture live events etc. It did it’s job well and finally died a much deserved death. But even as beefy as it was in it’s day it could not come close to what this MBP can do.

I guess with all the isolation resulting from the coronavirus it drove home how I need something that will allow me to create content and not get so far behind. I have found the 13” will be more than sufficient to do what I need. I would like a home office but I would have to get rid of my husband as where it would go is his current man cave. I kinda like him and I hope to keep him for many more years so that’s out!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NOOOOOO! We already have three barns on our property that he has filled up! ANY space I eek out he will slowly fill anyway. I have a theory with him - if he sees a flat surface or open area on the floor it needs to be filled. I have trained him to leave my space alone. It took a lot of strategic correction but he has caught on - as long as I don’t drop my guard!!!

I have my recliner and an old CRT display arm that I modified to hold my laptop. It works for me. Besides if I had a home office I couldn’t eventually escape to my work office. There is that... ;D

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.