Just got an awesome deal on a 2008 iMac and wondering.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
Got an awesome deal on a early 2008 iMac off of fb marketplace last night, got it for $40.00, and it looks and seems to work like it is brand new. My question is it has Yosemite installed, and I am wondering if I should use the hack tool I have to install Catalina on it like I had running on my early 2008 black macbook before I sold that to a friend of mine. Just wondering how secure Yosemite is since I do not think it is supported at all anymore. I have tacos Big Sur on my early 2015 macbook air and I like it, plius when I had Catalina on my early 2008 black macbook i liked Catalina..... its just that this iMac seems to perform really well running Yosemite and afraid if I try the hack to get Catalina running on it, it may make it a brick, and be very difficult to get Yosemite back on it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A very personal opinion, Brian. I wouldn't risk messing about with patches, hack tools and the like. If it runs well with Yosemite, as you say, stick with that.

The Mac is 12-13 years old. You got a really good deal with it. Enjoy.

I presume the previous owner wiped the Hard Drive and removed his/her Apple ID before installing Yosemite?? Actually, I'm quite surprised that the iMac could go as far as Yosemite.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
They will run El Capitan according to MacTracker.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is it has Yosemite installed, and I am wondering if I should use the hack tool I have to install Catalina on it like I had running on my early 2008 black macbook before I sold that to a friend of mine.

You know the old saying.... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
A very personal opinion, Brian. I wouldn't risk messing about with patches, hack tools and the like. If it runs well with Yosemite, as you say, stick with that.

The Mac is 12-13 years old. You got a really good deal with it. Enjoy.

I presume the previous owner wiped the Hard Drive and removed his/her Apple ID before installing Yosemite?? Actually, I'm quite surprised that the iMac could go as far as Yosemite.

Ian

It seems to run Yosemite quite well. Yeah, it was completely erased and I had to set it up like it was brand new. Have it sitting on the table between my 2 chairs where we watch tv. nothing like having a nice 20 inch screen to use while sitting in my recliner...or since we are still expected to work from home, maybe set it up next to the bed and make the bed the "office" where if i get bored doing work just roll over and go to sleep until its time to go out and have some fun...course with this snow, 10 inches and still snowing in chicago.... and not a plow in sight, maybe have food delivered tonight. Just wondering how secure Yosemite still is, course i could use my Macbook Air, iPhone or iPad for online banking, don't have to use the iMac....

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.