• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just curious, do you use your computer for online banking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Been doing my banking online for 8-9 years now and never an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i hope you mean deposit checks on line. Unless they mail you back cash.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had to ask the wife because I haven't paid a bill in over 20 years. Yep, online banking here also. Everything is paid online. I'm old school though and like to see the paper invoices when they come in, so real in the mail invoices have not been switched over.

The company I work for doesn't have auto deposit so I still get a check there, but that's ok. Gives my wife the chance to go by the ATM and get my weekly stipend out for me.

Reaction score
I manage banking accounts and credit cards online...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I use ATMs for cash.
I use the bank's website for checking balances and spending history.
My paycheck is direct deposited.
I visit a branch whenever I need special help or make odd deposits.

Strictly speaking, I think online banking is safer than having statements mailed to you, unless you use a locked mailbox. And so long as you keep your computer and email secure (strong passwords, firewalls, don't run as an admin, use virus protection on Windows, and don't log into your bank, email, or other important account from some random Internet Cafe computer.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use ATMs for cash.
I use the bank's website for checking balances and spending history.
My paycheck is direct deposited.
I visit a branch whenever I need special help or make odd deposits.

Strictly speaking, I think online banking is safer than having statements mailed to you, unless you use a locked mailbox. And so long as you keep your computer and email secure (strong passwords, firewalls, don't run as an admin, use virus protection on Windows, and don't log into your bank, email, or other important account from some random Internet Cafe computer.)

Ditto on my end. That is exactly what I do. Agreed 100% on all your suggestions also.

There was only one time I broke that rule and checked my balance at Frys Electronics once and had a friend watch closely for prying eyes! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
I do all my banking online, all my statements are now e-versions and not paper. Much greener way to go and it is safe if you don't get any viruses etc... (Windows)
Mac should be fine.

Security itself only has a slight problem if you transmit over a wireless with no encryption but even these days its hard to find a non-encrypted wireless.
As every wireless device is capable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep. We do all of our banking/bill paying online. Never had an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Well I'm too young to bank online, and don't really use my bank account too much so... but I do use an online broker, TDameritrade... I guess that's close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.