Jumps while typing

Reaction score
This has been bugging me for a while but I just thought of asking about it.

Both my wife and I, while typing in any app, will suddenly see the cursor relocate to some random location, sometimes the beginning of the line and sometimes almost anywhere. We are unable to identify any key we may be striking to cause this but it doesn't seem it should be happening otherwise. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On a MacBook Pro or Air? You are probably draggiing your thumbs or hands on the trackpad. It doesn't take much of a touch to have it sensed. I have learned to arch my wrists a bit to keep the hands clear. Actually, it's more of what my typing teacher said to do about 60 years ago, so kudos to her.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Thanks. MacBook Pro. Dragging isn't doing it. You have to move the cursor and then touch the pad to move it. That could be what I'm doing. I'll watch it but it seems like it is something else.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
On a MacBook Pro or Air? You are probably draggiing your thumbs or hands on the trackpad. It doesn't take much of a touch to have it sensed. I have learned to arch my wrists a bit to keep the hands clear. Actually, it's more of what my typing teacher said to do about 60 years ago, so kudos to her.
Are you sure that you and I didn't have the same typing teacher? :D

Reaction score
Thanks. MacBook Pro. Dragging isn't doing it.

There are two things that commonly cause what you are seeing. The first is accidentally dragging your finger on the trackpad, as Jake said.

The other is to be having your lithium battery swelling, and pressing up on your trackpad. If it is this latter cause, you shouldn't ignore it. A swelling battery can overheat and catch fire. For some years of MBP, Apple has an extended warranty repair program to replace your battery:

Even if your MBP isn't covered, I strongly recommend that you either take it to a brick and mortar Apple Store to be checked out, or that you call AppleCare and get their recommendation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There are two things that commonly cause what you are seeing. The first is accidentally dragging your finger on the trackpad, as Jake said.

The other is to be having your lithium battery swelling, and pressing up on your trackpad. If it is this latter cause, you shouldn't ignore it. A swelling battery can overheat and catch fire. For some years of MBP, Apple has an extended warranty repair program to replace your battery:

Even if your MBP isn't covered, I strongly recommend that you either take it to a brick and mortar Apple Store to be checked out, or that you call AppleCare and get their recommendation.
Great point, Randy! The easiest way to check for battery swelliing is to get a ruler or straightedge and hold it edge down in the space between the trackpad and the bottom row of keys, across from left to right. The ruler/straightedge should touch the case all the way across, evenly. If it doesn't touch and shows a hump in the middle, no matter how slight, the battery is swelling and needs replacement immediately as it is a safety hazard.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I'm ok on the battery. I guess the best guess is still inadvertently touching the track pad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm ok on the battery. I guess the best guess is still inadvertently touching the track pad.

Are you possibly using long sleeve shirts with dangling cuffs that could be touching the trackpad while you type???

Just a far-out thought and a remote possibility. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.