Juice Jacking - a potential issue for Apple devices?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This just came up recently from our CISO and could be an avenue for issues. Best to use your own charger for sure.

It's amazing how creative people will get when they're trying to defraud others.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
One thing that would be worthwhile to try is to use an USB cable that only has power and ground pins. USB has 4 pins, power and ground are at the end, the data lines (D+ and D-) are in the middle ones.

If you use a power-only USB cable then you don't negotiate the amount of power needed as defined in the USB spec, but most chargers ignore this and just dump power anyway.

So if these public chargers work that way, you get the power, and with out the data lines, no data could ever be stolen..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I must be living under a rock - first I heard of this.

I must admit I felt about the same way when I first read the article this morning.

I also wondered how any Mac's built-in security could be breached by charging any of one's portable Apple products or iDevices.

Or if in doubt, just use a charging cable that doesn't allow any type of data to pass through.

I also wonder who would be loading or baiting such charging stations in the first place or even why...

But as Raz0rEdge stated, there's usually always someone with nefarious motives whether they work or not...

EDIT: my apologies Raz0rEdge, I see you posted the same power-only cable suggestion while I was typing.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Oh I've known about this for at least 10 years. I think it's less concerning for iDevices as long as you are sensible. If you plug it in and are asked if you want to trust this device, the obvious answer is NO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm with LIAB, this has been around at least 10 years, maybe 15. And as he said, for an iDevice, just don't trust it and you can safely charge.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I'm with LIAB, this has been around at least 10 years, maybe 15. And as he said, for an iDevice, just don't trust it and you can safely charge.
Yes.... according to the article, the term "Juice Jacking" was created in 2011, ie 12 years ago, thus my comment about living under a rock.
I assume this is not actually a "big" issue over the years or one would have heard more about it in the media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
The UK military have been warning about using "unknown" USB devices for years, and only authorised USB devices are allowed on Military hardware, so it makes sence that Public charging stations can be compromised. I am sure most are safe, but di you want to risk that you chose to use the wrong one.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Don't "Trust" unknown USB charge outlets, use Qi chargers where available (they are becoming more common) or carry a portable charger as I do when travelling, you can charge them at any USB outlet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.