I've lost my internal drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,
As above. Instead of shutting down the mid 2013 macbook air with 10.15.7, plugging in the external SSD and restarting with the option key held down, I kept it running, plugged in the external vis USB and restarted in target disc mode. When I'd finished I shut it down and unplugged the external once it was properly shut down (I now realise that I probably should have gone back to target disc mode and restarted from there) but it now won't start up as normal; all I get is a blank screen telling me to go to apple support. I've plugged the external in and started from that, thinking I could go to target disc mode again, but the internal isn't showing. Is there anything I can do, or is it getting it going with the CCC clone?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post is a bit confusing Pete and hard to understand exactly what it is you did?

Off hand, my guess is that your internal SSD may have died. But it's just a guess?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you have a CCC clone of the internal SSD it should start from the clone. Or is that what you were doing?

Are you trying to clone the internal drive from a CCC backup? Or are you trying to start it in target mode to move data off of the internal drive?

Your post is not real clear.

Lisa

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. I was using the external drive and I shut down the computer and then pulled the usb. When I restarted, I got a black screen and a message to contact apple support. Anyway, long story short. I had a brain wave this morning 3 or 4 minutes ago as it happens. I restarted with the option key held down and viola, there was the internal drive. One good thing is that I've learned something.
Edited to say thanks for the replies and sorry if the post was as clear as mud. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's okay Pete. Just take a couple of good swigs of that famous Australian wine you guys have down below. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wine Wine??? Scotch whisky, single malt for me. But I do force a wine down now and then.
:giggle:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Off hand, my guess is that your internal SSD may have died. But it's just a guess?

+1.
And is the external a bootable cloned drive??

- Patrick
=======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1.
And is the external a bootable cloned drive?

- Patrick
=======
That one isn't but I do have a bootable cloned drive.
BTW, I got the internal drive going earlier today. Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That one isn't but I do have a bootable cloned drive.
BTW, I got the internal drive going earlier today. Thanks for the reply.

Don't forget to keep your bootable cloned Drive current and up-to-date and don't forget to test booting from it to make sure it works.
You may need it when your internal boot drive really truly dies. 😉

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.