I've Done it!

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I have a feeling I won't receive my shipment until the end of this coming week. Highway 80 is closed in Nevada due to weather. Waaaahhhhh!

Mine has been sitting in Tennessee for about a day. FedEx is still saying delevery on Monday ...
(destination Oshkosh, WI)

I haven't been this excited about getting something for a long, long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have two programs that require Windows. I don't think a 128 SSD would be large enough for two OSs.

If you don't mind my asking… what programs are those? There's a tool called Crossover that helps you run many Windows programs in OS X without an installation of Windows. Compatibility is hit or miss, but when something does work, it's the best way to go. You can always check their listings to see if your apps are listed and what the current status is:
Compatibility - Browse Applications by Name - CodeWeavers

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't mind my asking… what programs are those? There's a tool called Crossover that helps you run many Windows programs in OS X without an installation of Windows. Compatibility is hit or miss, but when something does work, it's the best way to go. You can always check their listings to see if your apps are listed and what the current status is:
Compatibility - Browse Applications by Name - CodeWeavers

Autocad and Solidworks both for work:(

C

chas_m

AutoCAD is now available for Mac but SolidWorks isn't so indeed, Boot Camp (or perhaps one of the virtualisers like VirtualBox) is probably the route you'll want to go.

Reaction score
Mine has been sitting in Tennessee for about a day. FedEx is still saying delevery on Monday ...
(destination Oshkosh, WI)

I haven't been this excited about getting something for a long, long time.

I can't wait to hear what you two have to say about your new notebooks. I've never been happier about a notebook!

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AutoCAD is now available for Mac but SolidWorks isn't so indeed, Boot Camp (or perhaps one of the virtualisers like VirtualBox) is probably the route you'll want to go.

We use Autocad 2004 at work. It is near impossible to get upgrades, much less a new full version of AutoCAD for my Mac. One good thing about Acad 2004 is that is has very low demands on a computer. It will run on a minimum configuration. I don't expect running it virtualised will be a problem.

SolidWorks is another story. It is VERY demanding. This may require Bootcamp. I may not install SW. After all, both of these programs are for work and only allow me to work extra hours at home.

I have one more program that doesn't have a Mac version. TrainingPeaks.
I use this for monitoring my cycling. This program is a must. Acad and SW are just work software :) I suspect TrainingPeaks is another candidate for virtualation.

I'd much rather use Parallels or VM for no other reason than the convince of not having to reboot.

Countdown to the MacBook < 24 hours :D

Monty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Be sure to try the Free one first VirtualBox. I have not found a need as of yet but that is my plan.

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It came in this morning!
First impressions?
FAST. Beautiful... and that screen (glossy) no regrets. Very bright and sharp.

But oh my gosh, do I have an adjustment to make. The trackpad... That thing will take a lot of getting used to!

I ordered Parallels. Reviews state that it is faster then VM Fusion. I tried VirtualBox on my W7 compter and didn't care for it...

Note, the Lenovo, 64bit W7, has is not anywhere near started.
mac-and-lenovo.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Monty, you are going to love this machine !

Congrats.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already LOVE how scrolling is done with two fingers!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I already LOVE how scrolling is done with two fingers!

You'll get used to it very quickly. I had the same reaction and by the end of the 2nd day I was showing off to my wife how I could do everything with one hand on the trackpad - which of course impressed her to no end - I could tell by how far she rolled her eyes and then turned the TV up a bit. :Angry:

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll get used to it very quickly. I had the same reaction and by the end of the 2nd day I was showing off to my wife how I could do everything with one hand on the trackpad - which of course impressed her to no end - I could tell by how far she rolled her eyes and then turned the TV up a bit. :Angry:

Very good. My wife just walked past me and said, "wooooooo your Apple s lit up, wooooooooo your keyboard is lit up." THen she tured to the TV...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Excellent purchase

Here's my MBP 15" - I opted for the faster HDD and did get the Glossy screen which I love.

PROCESSOR 065-9134 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
MEMORY 065-9136 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB
HARD DRIVE 065-9140 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
OPTICAL DRIVE 065-9145 SuperDrive 8X DL
DISPLAY 065-9149 MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's my MBP 15" - I opted for the faster HDD and did get the Glossy screen which I love.

PROCESSOR 065-9134 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
MEMORY 065-9136 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB
HARD DRIVE 065-9140 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
OPTICAL DRIVE 065-9145 SuperDrive 8X DL
DISPLAY 065-9149 MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

NICE!
That thing is decked out!
and yes, the Glossy screen rules!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.