I've been spoofed ...

Reaction score
My business email address has been spoofed. I downloaded Clamxav, which found 4 infections:
email.phishing.pay-46
win.trojan.generickdz-942
heuristics.phishing.email.spoofedDomain

I read on another forum that you're not supposed to delete any malware/viruses that Clamxav finds, because you may end up downloading them again, and instead you're supposed to "isolate" them? Please, please advise.

Also, I found these files on my iMac. I also use an iPhone and an iPad. Should I be scanning those devices as well in some way?

Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those are all Windows infections or malware probably picked up from email or visiting certain sites. Just delete them. They can't harm your Mac either way. And, change your email password to a strong alpha numeric character password of at least 12 characters.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. If those files are not affecting my email, I'm confused as to what to do about my spoofed email address. I'm getting dozens of bounce-back messages a day, and when I called Go Daddy tech support, they felt confident that I had been spoofed and recommended I take my computer into an Apple store. I'm hoping I can solve this on my own . . .?

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need to take your Mac into an Apple store. Windows malware and virus infections that propagate on email can not harm your Mac. As stated above, remove those infections that ClamXAv found. However, in order to protect yourself from any more spoofing of your email address you need to change your password immediately. Using strong passwords is a must nowadays. Mix numbers with characters and use upper and lower case. That type of password is very hard to remember which is why you probably also need a password manager. We recommend 1Password but there are other managers that are less costly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.