Itunes problem

Reaction score
Hi . I seem to have lost a couple of albums from my iTunes library . When I look them up on the store it no longer says purchased and is asking full price . What's going on ??

C

chas_m

Luckily, you've been keeping Time Machine backups (RIGHT?!) so the fact that the rights owners have pulled the release from the store simply means a quick visit to your backups ...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is it possible that someone else has logged into the iTunes store on your device with a different Apple ID?

C

chas_m

Music appears and disappears all the time from the iTunes Store due to artists and record labels deciding they're not making enough or for other reasons. If you backed it up, you still have it. If you didn't, it might have been withdrawn.

If it's not in your purchase history, though, I would give Apple a call and discuss it. Have your iTunes receipt email handy.

Reaction score
yes it can especially if apple changes the album or decides to remove the album for copyright claims you might have to call apple customer support for this one because they can look it up on there end and fix it

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iTunes has (for as long as I can remember - although, I may be going senile) never shown "Purchased" rather than a buy link on my purchased content when I go back to look at an individual item in the store at a later time.

To see your purchased content, when you initially open the iTunes store, you need to look at the list on the right side of the store and click on the "Purchased" link there. You may need to sort by "All" to find the one you're looking for.

There is, also, no place to view "all" your purchased content. You have to go to each individual iTunes store; Music, Movies, TV shows, Books, Apps... and click on that "Purchased" link at the right side of the page and can then view all your purchased content related to each area of the store.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Excellent info as usual.

@OP Are you saying the files are missing from your music folder? If the icons for those albums are still in your library delete them before following the advice above. As long as the icons/artwork/library entries are there the store thinks the files are there even if they aren't actually present.

OP
K
Reaction score
When I go to my music library , the albums have completely disappeared. No icons or anything. They are not in my purchased section in itunes anywhere. When I look for the album in the store it shows the full asking price in green rather than the grey purchased. It's as if I never bought them !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.