iTunes fails to recognize my devices

Reaction score
iTunes fails to recognize my iPhone and iPad. They are supposed to sync automatically by wireless, but the last sync was almost 3 months ago. There is no indication that it even knows the devices exist except for the record of the last backup. I would be willing to sync manually, but I can't fins how to turn off the wireless syncing. I have a MacBook Pro with Yosemite, an iPhone 5, and an iPad Air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some more information: 1) Did this occur after your Yosemite upgrade; 2) Do you have the latest version of iTunes (12.0.1.x); and 3) Have you tried to cable your iDevices to your computer w/ iTunes (backup options can be controlled there)? Let me stop there for you to respond - Dave

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Possibly. I can't remember exactly when I upgraded to Yosemite, but it could have been about that time.
2. Yes, I have the latest iTunes.
3. The response is identical whether I am wireless or cabled.

Until I can get this wireless sync problem worked out I would be content to sync manually with a cable, but I can't find any option to turn off the wireless syncing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again - concerning the 'wireless' sync, is this to your computer or to the cloud (basically, 3 options, i.e. to iCloud and wireless or cabled to iTunes - for myself, I use iCloud & cabled iTunes)?

Also, if not done, 'Force Close' iTunes (look in the Apple menu) then reboot your computer; also if not done already, 'Reset' the iDevices (hold down both ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, release and let the devices boot) - see if any of these maneuvers help - good luck. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks -- that did id. I can't believe it was that simple (and that I was that stupid).

GREAT! Glad to help - nice when the simple maneuvers work - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.