Itunes apps for iphone

Reaction score
Just had to clear and reinstall everything on a frozen iphone 4.
Fine so far but none of the apps I have on Itunes will reinstall, they have the words ''will install' next to them and a few have just ''install'', but these notices are greyed out and syncing does nothing with these apps?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The apps have to be present on your Mac before they will install when you attach your iPhone 4 and sync. Look for the apps on your Mac, they should all have an extension of "ipa". If the apps are missing from your Mac, download them again from the iTunes store. There's no charge as long as you purchased them before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I need you to verify that the apps are in fact installed on your Mac before we try something else. Go to:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications/

You should have an "ipa" extension for every mobile app that's installed. Since the apps are grayed out showing up in iTunes, there may be a problem with them.

OP
F
Reaction score
Found files [though not in location specified] there are three folders with that name all contain .ipa files.
Presumably my files, and my other iphones files [also on this mac] and the back up files as it was backed up to this mac [not icloud]

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it's OK that you have a separate folder for each iPhone as I don't think that would prevent the apps from being installed. Although I don't think that's normal. I also have had 2 iPhones but the apps are all in one location.

Have you tried resetting your iPhone 4? Also, you might want to check the permissions on those ipa files. Right click on them and then select "Get Info". You should have read and write permissions for all of them.

OP
F
Reaction score
Have reset phone , no change.
Realised the copy of the ipa files is on the cloned hard drive I have for backup so only the one on system hard drive.
Permissions are all good.

OP
F
Reaction score
Did a second reinstall on iphone, now no longer shows ''will install'' just the word 'install' but again greyed out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are two reasons that I can think of which would prevent the apps from being installed: One we've eliminated by ascertaining the apps exist on your Mac and have the correct permissions. The second reason would be if there is no room left on your iPhone 4 to install the apps.

I'm assuming that you have gone over all your settings in iTunes to make sure that you can sync when you attach your iPhone 4?

OP
F
Reaction score
All other items sync fine, music, movie etc just apps fail.
No shortage of room on iphone over 13gb available.
Same itunes syncs fine with my partners iphone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same itunes syncs fine with my partners iphone.

You have two iPhones associated with your Apple ID? Or is your partner's iPhone using a different Apple ID? Are both your iPhone and your partner's iPhone syncing from your Mac?

If the iPhones are registered with different Apple IDs, and the apps are installed on your partner's iPhone, that's the reason they will not install on yours.

OP
F
Reaction score
Have different id's for each phone , both have the same apps and are backed up separately.
Both have been syncing fine for the past two years so no conflict. Only problem is with apps on my phone.
I just tried a backup from my wifes account and that worked so I backed up again from my account, now have a most of my apps back but some are greyed out and have the ''will install'' against them again so I figure it's my back up on this mac which is some how corrupted.?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem we're running into is that two separate iPhones with two separate Apple IDs are supposed to each have their own set of apps according to Apple. However, I suppose if you've been syncing both phones from your Mac and it worked before it should work now.

I just recently tried to sync a friend's iPhone 4 to my iMac (I have an iPhone 5c and 4) to load some free apps and could not do it. I also tried to reset the phone to sync and that too did not work because of the different Apple IDs.

It is possible that the backup you previously made has become corrupt. Have you tried to download those apps that are missing? You may be able to download them again from the iTunes store.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have deleted all those apps which fail to install and re-downloaded from store but strangely some still show 'will install'' or "install'' tabs [greyed out]. While others install fine.
I think those that are installing match those on my wifes which I deleted because she does not use, so will try deleting some on her phone before re-downloading again to see if that's the case.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OK I'm a little confused here. You are using one Mac Book to sync two iPhones, a little like having an iPhone and an iPad like I do. And you have separate backups for each device, like I do and different apps for each (like I do). The difference here is I am using one Apple ID and the same login and password for all devices. If you on the other hand have different Apple ID's and different iTunes logins and passwords for each device then what you are suggesting cannot be done. This is because Apple only allows a computer to be associated with one iTunes account at a time. If you log out of iTunes and log in with a different iTunes account it will be 90 days until you can associate that computer with the original account or download any of the apps associated with that account.
Check in your iTunes Store > Account > Manage devices (click the blue manage devices at the end of the section) to see what devices are associated with your account. If you see a time frame e.g. a number of days on any of your devices especially your laptop it means you cannot access those downloads/software associated with your account until the time is up.
I know this sounds crazy but the bottom line here is you can't just login to a different iTunes account on the same computer like a web site and have it act like it's yours (like a bank account). Everything Apple is associated under one Apple ID INCLUDING the serial number of your computer and peripheral devices. Why? To prevent others from logging into their iTunes account on your laptop and stealing all your content without paying for it themselves. So if your computer is now associated with your wife's iTunes account you will only be able to download her content. You will have to wait 90 days to get yours.:[

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hmm, well so much for that theory. It would have explained a lot but I'm glad you avoided that trap.
So it's just like you personally have two phones (as many do) on the same iTunes account just that your wife uses one of them, correct?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have different id's for each phone , both have the same apps and are backed up separately.
Both have been syncing fine for the past two years so no conflict. Only problem is with apps on my phone.
I just tried a backup from my wifes account and that worked so I backed up again from my account, now have a most of my apps back but some are greyed out and have the ''will install'' against them again so I figure it's my back up on this mac which is some how corrupted.?

Well I'm still a little confused, you say you have the same account on iTunes but in the quote above you mention trying a backup from your "wifes account".
Just to humour me would you please login to iTunes go to the Store and under Account > Manage devices (click the blue manage devices at the end of the section) to see what devices are associated with your account. If you see a time frame e.g. a number of days on any of your devices especially your Mac it means your Mac is no longer associated with your account and you cannot access those downloads/software associated with your account until the time is up.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However assuming your iPhone is still Authorised to play your content you may find that you can download your previous app purchases directly on your iPhone, rather than using your computer. Go to App Store on your iPhone > Updates > Purchased > select Not On This Phone and you should be able to download those apps again.;)

OP
F
Reaction score
Tried itunes store on phone but all search results for apps just bring up music options no apps at all in search results.?
By my wifes account I referred to her ''back-up'' not mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.