iTunes 12.0.1.26 does not let me enter proper metadata for TV Shows

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
When I load a television show with individual episode files, iTunes 12.0.1.26 automatically puts them into Movies-Home Videos section. I enter a tv show name for all of them, so they will be grouped together when I next re-assign them to TV Shows.

Once in there, the Info windows do not show up with television options, nor they all have the same options.

I am including in this post three screen shots for Episode 2 and Episode 3 of a tv show called Department S. Screen shot 1 shows that episode 2 has an Episode ID and Episode 3 does not.

The second and third screen shots are the individual Info windows for each. Note that there is no option for Episode Id in either of them. (Where did the Episode Id in Episode 2 come from?)

This is ridiculous. How can I enter proper and consistent information if iTunes is not up to it?

BG

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot 3.jpg

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not added any non-iTunes TV shows. But, the Episode ID in iTunes TV shows is a hidden attribute and there is no way to change it - I just don't show that item in list view. Since I have not added any non-iTunes TV Shows can't tell you what metadata in the file iTunes pulls that info from.

Those info windows do all have the same options. If you want to try adding other items not available via iTunes Get Info, you might try Subler or Identify. I've used both of those for non-iTunes movies.

C

chas_m

I just checked my TV show library in iTunes 12.0.1.26, and it appears to let me edit every field in each of the categories of information about it except the last panel (which lists physical things like resolution and type of file, things I would not expect to be able to edit for obvious reasons).

iTunes-editing-TV.png

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are categories missing there that cannot be added except via 3rd party tools.

The 'Get Info' window is now missing for ex.: The fields for Actors, Producer, Screenwriters, Studio, etc. even in iTunes purchased content nor can you add that info into your own imported content without a 3rd party tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.