It's back....... new Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
To answer Bob's question: Unless you subscribe to the RSS feeds you will be unable to see not only the RSS posts themselves but also any replies to them.
... ... ...
The whole idea of RSS feed posts is to build interest in our forums and attract more members to participate.

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to admit to my ignorance as I've never really even noticed anything relalated to any sort of RSS feeds or posts or even any such announcements, but I will admit that I haven't bothered to look either. :Smirk:

So I guess I'm wondering where any or what the attractions are???

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Patrick,

If, and only if, you want to see these RSS feeds:

From any page, including this one you are reading > top of screen on the Right > Settings click that > opens a page, where on the left, you will see "My Settings" (third heading down) > under that about ⅔ way down > click on "Permission Groups" > Opens window with RSS and Deals Access and to the far right is "Join Group" with a tiny circle beside it > Click on that >lastly Click on "Join Group in a little box underneath. Finished.

Repeat to leave Group.

In future, under New Posts will be all the RSS feeds under the Title "One More Thing".

Choose those, if any, you want to read. For all posts you don't want read, click on "Forum Actions" > "Mark Forums Read" and this will clear all the remaining posts.

Best of luck, friend.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick,

If, and only if, you want to see these RSS feeds:

Thanks Ian, I may do some checking into this RSS thing at some point when I've got nothing else to do.

Meantime I'll carry on the same way I always have at such sites I guess.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Sometimes, it seems that Apple can't do anything right. But that isn't so.

People now have a choice of Desktops (including the Mini) from the very basic 21 inch, through a cascade of options to the new Mac Pro, via the iMac Pro - each model having its own selection of specifications.

Moreover, features found in top-of-the-line models often find their way down to cheaper models over time.

It seems to me that Apple has tried to cater for all needs across its model range; taking into account what you can afford, with trade-offs along the way. There's something for everyone.

Ian

Agree 1000%. We shouldn't expect pro products to be at non-pro prices, especially when "pro" is an accurate description and not just a marketing buzz word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The "Pro" argument when talking prices is ridiculous, especially when you consider EVERY SINGLE Mac Pro previous to this generation has been half the cost, and not had any significant differences compared to the new one.
Having PCI slots shouldn't be what deems a Mac to cost 5 GRAND!
And the stock 580 GPU is certainly not a reason for it to cost $6k either. LOL!!!
I/O are similar to a MacBook Pro 15", so that's can't be the reason.

My guess is they want to roll in the cost of expensive glam machining into the price, and that's not something a real "Pro" user gives a crap about.
If you truly care about pro grade computing, you would put your money on computing power over the cost of shiny material and fancy handles.

That's just ridiculous, and this is coming from someone who currently has 3 Mac Pros!
$6,000 is crazy, and I'll bet money sales will paint a better picture.

However...they did have the balls to actually charge $1k for a monitor stand, so...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However...they did have the balls to actually charge $1k for a monitor stand, so...

I'm anxiously awaiting the Sir Jonathan Ive anounccement parody video on the design and final release of the new Mac Pro's display stand. And to be serious, I would have expected to see several version by now, so I'm already disappointed.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
My guess is they want to roll in the cost of expensive glam machining into the price, and that's not something a real "Pro" user gives a crap about.
If you truly care about pro grade computing, you would put your money on computing power over the cost of shiny material and fancy handles.

Isn't this the same argument that the Apple bashers use against pretty much every Apple desktop? That you can spec your own, better machine for less money? I think a lot of pros and non-pros alike enjoy physically well-designed machines in addition to raw computing power. If they choose to pay a premium for that, then I'm sure not going to challenge their credentials just because I don't share their tastes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with IGGY, the price of the new "basic" Mac Pro is higher than any previous Mac Pro or for that matter, any Mac. And then, they want to charge another $1K for a stand. What is going on at Apple? I realize that whole setup is for professional use, but it's likely going to take corporate purchases if sales of the new Mac Pro are going to be successful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Isn't this the same argument that the Apple bashers use against pretty much every Apple desktop? That you can spec your own, better machine for less money? I think a lot of pros and non-pros alike enjoy physically well-designed machines in addition to raw computing power. If they choose to pay a premium for that, then I'm sure not going to challenge their credentials just because I don't share their tastes.

I don't believe it's exactly the same. Anyways, most that say something like that are too ignorant to know the exact specs of a Mac to know what comparable part they would need to compare it to. Most of them simply compare the GPU, CPU, ram size, and call it a day when they can build something for 1/2 the price.

For the longest time, and this isn't my opinion(it's been stated many times by professional PC builders and computer journalists), if you actually took the time to individually piece together your computer to be as close to an Apple computer as possible, the cost of your custom computer would come out to be very close. And whatever little difference there was you could then roll over into additional design costs, which to me are 100% worth it. I don not believe that to be the case with the new 2019 Mac Pro.

There's a ~$3000 gap between the costs of the base Mac Pro parts, and what it takes to build one with identical specs.

The two main factors that PC journalists credit to the high base price are the frame, and motherboard.
And when it comes to building a comparable 'workstation' tower, there are a LOT of options!

IMO, for $6k, the base GPU, CPU, RAM, and flash storage size, are useless and a complete slap in the face for a "Pro grade" machine.

The reason why this annoying me so much is because I knew I wanted to buy the next gen Mac Pro, but it's now nowhere near worth the cost compared to what I already have...unfortunately.

I have to agree with IGGY, the price of the new "basic" Mac Pro is higher than any previous Mac Pro or for that matter, any Mac. And then, they want to charge another $1K for a stand. What is going on at Apple? I realize that whole setup is for professional use, but it's likely going to take corporate purchases if sales of the new Mac Pro are going to be successful.
And it's hard to say it'smeant for professional use when the lower tier CPUs and GPU get beat by components that are designed for your average personal computer. I kind of wish Apple made a 'bare-bones' version of the Mac Pro and let you add the components as you want them on your own

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I like the RSS and I Deals posts they add a whole new element of content and as said there are a couple of ways of getting them out of my face if I want.
As for the new Mac Pro, well, a desktop simply doesn’t suite my lifestyle. Being part time in the tropics I would never have one here. At that price I would need to have a dedicated air conditioned space to keep it in and the parts of the year I’m not here well, it would just be a liability. If I had one in Australia I’d have to upgrade my house and contents policy and again it would be redundant for more than half the year gathering dust. No, it’s definitely a portable device for me. My 13” MBPr has all the power, speed and storage I need to tackle any task. The only upgrade I have ever seriously considered is moving to a 15” MBP. Maybe next time?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe, because Apple sat on the 2013 Mac Pro models for so long, they "probably" didn't want to purchase too many components to get better pricing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At $5K for the basic model, they should have no problem providing the best components the industry has available. Apple is also known to be "cheapskates" when it comes to procuring components and paying for licensing for using other technology.

Anyway, how many of these new Mac Pros do you think Apple will sell? Or, how many of the new displays (with or without stand) do you think they will sell?

I'm betting that most purchases will be corporate rather than individual.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway, how many of these new Mac Pros do you think Apple will sell? Or, how many of the new displays (with or without stand) do you think they will sell?

I'm betting on initial purchases will be from individuals with deep pockets (got to have the latest & greatest right NOW)...and corporate accounts when the time/money saved on operating these things on projects 24-7 will justify the high cost.

Then after the hype dies down...(hopefully) some deep discounts to then capture the rest of the market that can afford them.:)

- Nick

p.s. Would be nice to see the price of used 2013 Mac Pro's to plummet as well...then maybe I can snag one for a nice price!:):)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.