• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Its about time that ISP's took notice . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I am seriously considering buying a new MB with a USB-C port, but there is one thing holding me back.

That is my upload speeds. My ISP upload speed is atrocious and I know this is really a worldwide thing. My house is decked out and is fully Wireless, using a NetGear Modem/Router and I have a WiFi extender to hot the bedrooms, as well as having my TimeCapsule hard wired to it, to supply my AppleTV and my backups.

I can easily download a 1GB file in under 5 minutes, but what trips my rage is my upload speeds. Its takes 20+ mins to upload a simple 100mb movie or less. Apple is making us hit the wireless world with this beautiful MB and I would love to buy one, but if I need to transfer a movie, music, a Aperture Library, or 10-15 RAW images, I have been using a USB, and I would love to be able to upload them to dropbox, go to my iMac, download them, and then delete them from dropbox, BUT, my ISP has made this near on impossible :(

Do others have this problem ?? If your ISP gave you half you download speed to upload, would you take it ?? If you could upload quickly to the cloud, would this give you a interest in the new MacBook's ??
What are your thoughts on this ??

Here is a great article covering the whole kit and caboodle . . . . Why the new MacBook's single port is all you really need - Macworld Australia - Macworld Australia

I think is about time, that the ISP's of the world, stood up and took notice, and realise we are in the 21st Century, and we NEED fast upload speeds, and we need them NOW !!!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
6.79 Mbps Download
0.73 Mbps Upload

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I probably haven't uploaded anything in a dog's age....

75 MBPs download

75 MBPs upload

:p

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW Charlie, thats 30x faster than my download speed.
Im on a pretty good plan here, and one of the faster plans, not being on Fibre to the Node, and not anytime soon.
Australia, with the previous Government was rolling out the NBN, and now the new Gov has changed plans, and is still going to bottleneck the speeds. Under the old Gov, I was going to get it June last year, and the trenches are already there, but now they have stopped worked, I have no idea when it will happen.
I still believe ISP's should be still offering good upload speeds, without having to compromise download speeds, via copper . . . .
It is still crap, either way you look at it, and then more I look at it, the more widespread the issue seems to be, considering Aust was one of the top 10 Tech Countries in the world, back when the old Gov was rolling out the NBN . . . Now it isn't even in sight of the finish line !!!

C

chas_m

So call your ISP and move to whatever plan they offer that gives you the upload speeds you want. Not sure what you think will happen due to posting here ...

Cable broadband has been asymmetrical forever, because people don't generally upload much, and this is an easy way for the networks to conserve bandwidth so you can have fast download speeds, which is what everyone really wants. The only people I've ever run across who are fussed about upload speeds are:

1. Pirates who depend on P2P networks
2. Photographers and creative pros who send large files to portfolio sites or clients

You, TatMac, probably fall into the latter group, so just call your ISP and ask about plans. That's what I did, and now I'm at 25Mbit down/3Mbit up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Brent I thought you moved on to the NBN fibre optics network>

Have been told NBN is five years away here and for what it is worth my magnificent speeds are 8Mbps download and 2Mbps download. I think you would have been a lot faster than that?

And that 8Mbps is the fastest available via the old, old copper wires 4 miles from the exchange.

Last edited:

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
15.8 Mb down and 5.9Mb up here in UK provinces via BT fibre. Virgin Fibre can get you to 150Mb download in London, not sure what the upload speeds can reach.

In the UK you can buy special plans which have the same upload and download speeds, primarily aimed at businesses and so a lot more expensive than domestic plans.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Maybe I'm misreading things here and if I am, please ignore the following.

It seems as though you simply want to push content around your own network. If that's the case, the network speeds of your ISP are irrelevant and instead, the slowdown is a bottleneck on your own network (assuming your pushing content around internally). Have you tried setting up shared folders or thought about getting a NAS?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
So call your ISP and move to whatever plan they offer that gives you the upload speeds you want. Not sure what you think will happen due to posting here ...

Chas-m asks what's going to achieved by posting here? Well, fair point, I suppose; but what the responses have shown is that the major issue is that computing is moving far faster than the infrastructure needed to support it. In many parts of the world, including the major economies, there are large areas of the country where no ISP offers the kind of download and upload speeds needed to facilitate internet archiving and storage which Apple et al are pushing us to adopt.

Computers get thinner & leaner on the preposition that we'll all use the "cloud" to store & share....almost everything. Many of us, it seems, cannot access the means to do this.

Ian

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
We have a regular tech show on TV in the UK (The Gadget Show) and they periodically look at cloud based computing such as Chromebooks. As recently as this week's show the conclusion was that it's still too soon for doing your processing remotely.

Ultimately the challenge is that infrastructure takes significant capital investment, and getting commercial organisations to front this is very difficult. This is the same for broadband, roads, railways and power stations. Sometimes 'state owned' is the best option, but most Western governments have moved away from any kind of government owned infrastructure beyond the most basic.

M

MacInWin

I'm on Xfinity/Comcast and just ran a test at Speedtest.net. The results were

125.1 Mbps down
12.12 Mbps up

Verizon is advertising their FIOS fiber optic service is equal for up and down. The tag line in the adverts is "why be half fast?"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Verizon is advertising their FIOS fiber optic service is equal for up and down. The tag line in the adverts is "why be half fast?"

I have Verizon FIOS service ($$) but rarely if ever do I need to upload something. However, now that our wonderful FCC has stuck their nose into the internet and given us "Net Neutrality" who knows what will be the result as far as speeds go? ISPs are already saying that prices are going to rise. Don't you just love it? :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am seriously considering buying a new MB with a USB-C port, but there is one thing holding me back.....

I guess I am still wondering why slow upload speeds are a major factor in purchasing a new MB??

I understand sloooooow upload speeds. I live in a very rural area and that means I am not a target for fiber optics. It is either ADSL or Satellite and each has it's drawbacks. Even at work we have ADSL business and it is not that great.

But our INTRAnet is fast and moving between computers is fast. I have encoded video from my computer to the server numerous times because I needed the finished video on another computer with great results.

Still I wonder why this has anything to do with purchasing a new MB? Am I missing something? :Confused:

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
"I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

I'm sorry Jake, but our CRTC does't like or want any of your types here in Canada.

They are afraid that you might actually speed up some of our 'net stuff that could upset and speed up our country. And they just don't like that eh?? ;) :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry Jake, but our CRTC does't like or want any of your types here in Canada.

Canada is NOT where I'd like to send them. O:)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what you think will happen due to posting here ...

A discussion. Im not that stupid to think my ISP is watching "Mac-Forums" and think, Oh, lets up the Basic upload speeds, because someone is whining . . .
As to ringing my ISP, when I'm out on the road, and I want to upload stuff to the cloud, because I'm using a Dongle for my transfers, the speeds I have are set in stone, and can't be changed. Sending a email attachment of over 30-40mb takes forever.

Maybe I'm misreading things here and if I am, please ignore the following.

It seems as though you simply want to push content around your own network. If that's the case, the network speeds of your ISP are irrelevant and instead, the slowdown is a bottleneck on your own network (assuming your pushing content around internally). Have you tried setting up shared folders or thought about getting a NAS?

No, not quite Van. My whole point to this, is to bring to light that ISP's give crap upload speeds, and if you want it, as said in other posts, its mainly for business, and if a household wants it, you will be paying out the back pocket big time to get it.
Im talking about uploading to the cloud in general, not just around my local network.

I guess I am still wondering why slow upload speeds are a major factor in purchasing a new MB??

I understand sloooooow upload speeds. I live in a very rural area and that means I am not a target for fiber optics. It is either ADSL or Satellite and each has it's drawbacks. Even at work we have ADSL business and it is not that great.

But our INTRAnet is fast and moving between computers is fast. I have encoded video from my computer to the server numerous times because I needed the finished video on another computer with great results.

Still I wonder why this has anything to do with purchasing a new MB? Am I missing something? :Confused:

Lisa

Again, I used moving from one computer to another, as a example, but was trying to point out slow upload speeds to Dropbox or the cloud. I most have over exaggerated it being "the biggest reason", but still, I'm not going to pay 3 times more than I am now, to get the same, or even half the speeds I have for download, to upload.

ISP's at the moment, can yes, change the upload speed, and I'm well aware of that, but the whole discussion is meant to be around them knowing that people are uploading a lot more to the cloud now, so give us faster uploads, that we have, and NOT PAY out the rear end for them.
If I have a 1tb a yr plan with Apple for cloud storage, I want to be able to use that storage, and not wait for 1gb file to upload, before I can move on, close down, or turn off my Mac.
With the new MB, they are aimed at wireless use, and cloud use, so this sort of plays on my mind, to not have the speeds I need to use it to its fullest capacity.

I pay 100 for 500gb down/up @ 8Mbps down and 2 up, just like Harry, but to change that to 8up, they want to charge $280. Thats not right !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If I have a 1tb a yr plan with Apple for cloud storage, I want to be able to use that storage, and not wait for 1gb file to upload, before I can move on, close down, or turn off my Mac.
With the new MB, they are aimed at wireless use, and cloud use, so this sort of plays on my mind, to not have the speeds I need to use it to its fullest capacity.

I pay 100 for 500gb down/up @ 8Mbps down and 2 up, just like Harry, but to change that to 8up, they want to charge $280. Thats not right !!

Okay! Lightbulb moment! :D I get your reasoning now. Since I don't even have the speeds you currently have, even at work, I get the frustration. I upload to YouTube each week and I have to leave it working all night.

My son has Time Warner fiber optics internet. I go over to his house and indulge my "need for speed". Just so unfair. I keep threatening to move in with him. O:)

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.