Issues with Big Sur on M1 Mac

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum for my issues or if I should post on the Desktop Hardware forum. Just in case, I'm posting on both.

I'm running Big Sur on a 24" M1 Mac.

So far I have two issues:

- Automatic login doesn't work (although it's checked in "Users & Groups"). I even have to log in every time the screen saver comes on.

- I'm not getting any notifications when new mail arrives (although that too is checked correctly in Notifications).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
For the Mail notification, make sure in Mail/Preferences/General that there is something other than "None" in the "New Messages sound:" box.

From Apple:
Require a password after waking your Mac
To keep the information on your Mac secure when you are away from it, set it to require a password when it wakes from sleep. When you return to your Mac, enter your login name and password to continue working.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu
    2f77cc85238452e25cb517130188bf99.png
    > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click General.
  2. Select “Require password… after sleep or screen saver begins.”
  3. Click the pop-up menu and choose the time that passes before a password is required.
Locking the screen doesn’t prevent other users from turning off the Mac, restarting it, and logging in. If you think this could happen, and you use apps that don’t automatically save your changes, be sure to save your work before you leave your Mac.

You can use your administrator name and password to unlock the screen for yourself or a standard user, but not for another administrator.

Autologin is under Users & Groups, Login items. Try resetting it on, then off again to see if that fixes it.

OP
N
Reaction score
For the Mail notification, make sure in Mail/Preferences/General that there is something other than "None" in the "New Messages sound:" box.

From Apple:

Autologin is under Users & Groups, Login items. Try resetting it on, then off again to see if that fixes it.
No problem with the Mail preferences.
As for autologin, I've reset it again and again.
Nothing works and that's why I'm asking here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, auto login and requiring a login after screen saver are two different things, so it's good to know you've tried both fixes. Maybe someone else will have a better approach than I.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As for autologin, I've reset it again and again.
Nothing works and that's why I'm asking here.

FileVault may be set to on with your new M1 Mac. As long as FileVault is on, automatic login is disabled. You need to turn off FileVault if it is on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good catch, Charlie. First thing I did was turn FV off on the M1 Mini.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For some reason Apple has set FileVault on as the default for the new M1 Macs. I suppose it's done as a means of extra security since the new M1 machines can no longer implement a Firmware password.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, auto login and requiring a login after screen saver are two different things, so it's good to know you've tried both fixes. Maybe someone else will have a better approach than I.

Actually, I had forgotten about the option under Security & Privacy. So that's fixed. Thanks for reminding me of that with the Apple article.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.