Issue with new Seagate 3Tb HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this.

I recently bought one of the new 3Tb Seagate external hard drives.
I have Drive Genius running Drive pulse, and this morning the following error came up.

'A possible hardware error was encountered while checking Seagate Backup+ Desk Media. (Asynchronous command could not be started.)'

A quick google search brought up nothing.

I have a feeling it's not a huge issue, but does any one have any ideas?

I will probably just go ahead and contact Seagate themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I can't find anything myself, but that does sound like a problem to me. I'd definitely call Seagate, or inquire on their forums. In the future, avoid Seagate like the plague. Their product reliability has plummeted in recent years. Speaking for myself, I've had 2 of their drives fail on me in the past 3 years, and are the only drives that have ever failed on me in 20 years. Here, read this:
Hard disk reliability examined once more: HGST rules, Seagate is alarming | Ars Technica

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lifeisabeach. Of course Seagage WOULD be rubbish, as I've gone and bought one of their new large desktop HD's after deliberating for a long time on what to buy.

Luckily, I bought it from an actual shop, so getting it replaced if necessary shouldn't be too difficult. Still, it's disappointing. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of my time troubleshooting IT faults. It's getting annoying!

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Simbad there has been plenty of adverse comments about Seagate drives on the forums. So bad back in 2011 Apple issued a recall for failing Seagate drives in new iMacs. Ask for your money back not a replacement if possible and invest in a WD.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.