Is this Macbook pro worth it? can someone help me before i buy?

Reaction score
It's a new macbook pro 2015
''MacBook Pro 13" 2012/2016 Pre-Retina  Core i5 2.5Ghz / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSHD!''

This is in the description

This is the BEST MacBook Pro 13 inch ever produced by Apple! It is extremely powerful, and a laptop you can use without having to have 20 different dongles - it has all the right ports built in! This system was such a hit, Apple sold it continuously from 2012 through 2016! It is the highest, most upgraded system featuring an upgraded Core i5 2.5Ghz processor - maxed out 16GB of memory - and a HUGE 1TB SSD Hybrid Drive! Configured from Apple, a similar unit would run you over $2000! Best of all, this Mac was been professionally upgraded and verified by a Certified Apple Mac Technician, buy with confidence. 30 Day MoneyBack Guarantee included. Perfectly working and ready to go with a clean install of the latest Apple OSX Sierra.

The MacBook Pro has a super powerful Intel processor that utilizes a new technology called "TurboBoost" to enhance the processor performance to over 3.1Ghz! Along with the upgraded 16GB memory and brand new 1TB SSHD storage drive, this system is ready for high end use!

It's a legit seller with very positive reviews so it's a trusted seller i'm just concerned wether it suits me.
I like to vlog so i upload many videos to my laptop and music also, what is ''1TB SSHD'' is it enough?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First, what is the price that this Macbook Pro (MBP) is being sold for? Second, is it factory sealed new or used?

The Core i5 is a dual-core processor that has 2 physical cores and 2 virtual cores. The 16GB of memory is good to have and the 1TB Hybrid drive (Apple calls it Fusion drive) means that you have a regular spinning (slower) HDD coupled with a smaller (faster) SSD. The OS does some fancy shifting/moving of your data to give you speed boosts at time, but it isn't constant and with large files (videos, images) it doesn't yield the benefit of having a traditional SSD.

In theory this sounds good, but doesn't work out to be as good overall. You're much better off with a SSD and external drive for extra storage of videos.

If you are editing videos (especially at 4K resolutions), then you are better of looking at the 15" MBP with the i7 processors.

You should indicate what your budget is and if you would be open to desktops in addition to the MBPs..

Reaction score
1TB SSD is tons of space. The new Solid State Drives are faster than a normal HD, with the spinning disk. I just had an SSD put into my work iMac and it runs much faster. The iMac had a 500 gig HD and I replaced it with a 250 gig SSD. Not as much space is needed. So, 1 TB SSD should be plenty.
I have had a 17 in MacBook Pro since late 2011. I love it and use it exclusively, when I am not in my practice. I also use Parallels ad Windows for certain Army websites, because most of them don't work or are difficult to get to work on the Mac side. So, I use lots of memory and do many functions on mine.
It sounds like a good machine to me. I am just a user, though and not a tech person.

OP
A
Reaction score
First, what is the price that this Macbook Pro (MBP) is being sold for? Second, is it factory sealed new or used?

The Core i5 is a dual-core processor that has 2 physical cores and 2 virtual cores. The 16GB of memory is good to have and the 1TB Hybrid drive (Apple calls it Fusion drive) means that you have a regular spinning (slower) HDD coupled with a smaller (faster) SSD. The OS does some fancy shifting/moving of your data to give you speed boosts at time, but it isn't constant and with large files (videos, images) it doesn't yield the benefit of having a traditional SSD.

In theory this sounds good, but doesn't work out to be as good overall. You're much better off with a SSD and external drive for extra storage of videos.

If you are editing videos (especially at 4K resolutions), then you are better of looking at the 15" MBP with the i7 processors.

You should indicate what your budget is and if you would be open to desktops in addition to the MBPs..

the price is very reasonable, it's 885$, it is factory refurbished. I have a budget of 1000$, I edit my videos but I don't save all of them in my laptop, I have an SD card for that and I also save them on an online personal file storage site, I have a desktop computer but I barely use it and would much better like a Macbook Pro laptop, thank you for your explanation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
This MBP was in production up to last autumn. I've had one for nearly two years. It should be more than enough for your needs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
the price is very reasonable, it's 885$...
Not in my opinon. $885 for a 5 year-old 13" MacBook Pro is a lot. Sure it has upgraded RAM & a 1TB SSD. But I'll pay the average $350-$375 on EBay US...and do my own upgrading.:)

it is factory refurbished.
Unless this is an "Apple Refurbished" computer...it's NOT "factory refurbished"!

- Nick

p.s. But if you're located outside of North America...$885 may be more reasonable.:)

OP
A
Reaction score
Not in my opinon. $885 for a 5 year-old 13" MacBook Pro is a lot. Sure it has upgraded RAM & a 1TB SSD. But I'll pay the average $350-$375 on EBay US...and do my own upgrading.:)

Unless this is an "Apple Refurbished" computer...it's NOT "factory refurbished"!

- Nick

p.s. But if you're located outside of North America...$885 may be more reasonable.:)

it says ''Manufacturer refurbished'' I'm attending College in London but some friends are coming in July so I thought I would order it and let them give it to me when they visit me. I did see some cheaper at lower prices but considering it's a MAC and this is a trusted seller on Ebay I thought i'd buy this one. Thank you for your help. Btw why do you say ''5 year old'' if it was released on March 2015 ??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it says ''Manufacturer refurbished'' I'm attending College in London but some friends are coming in July so I thought I would order it and let them give it to me when they visit me. I did see some cheaper at lower prices but considering it's a MAC and this is a trusted seller on Ebay I thought i'd buy this one. Thank you for your help.

The ONLY "Manufacturer Refurbished" I trust is Apple refurbished. And if this was "Apple Refurbished"...it's very uncommon for it to be on eBay. If this is a "Trusted Seller"...I'm not sure this is Apple. If this eBay seller is not Apple...then the refurbishing process could be almost anything. Could be as little as making sure it turns on & giving it a quick cleaning.

Btw why do you say ''5 year old'' if it was released on March 2015 ??

It wasn't released in 2015...it's a Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro (an almost 5 year-old design). As member MightyGem mentioned above...Apple was still selling this model until fairly recently (discontinued October, 2016). But...the computer is still a mid-2012 design with mid-2012 technology. Thus you really are purchasing a 5 year old computer (5 year old design). As far as it's exact age since manufacturing. You would need the computers serial number to get it's exact manufacturing date.

But even if this computer was manufactured in 2015. It's still a mid-2012 design...and it will still have the "downsides" of any 5 year old computer.

FYI. Apple...USUALLY...releases new models once/year (sometimes twice/year). That's why there's an:

- Early 2013 13" MacBook Pro
- Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro
- Mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro
- Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro
- Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro
- Late 2016 13" (w/touchbar) MacBook Pro

As you can see...Apple has released 5-6 NEWER models of the 13" MacBook Pro since the model you are thinking of purchasing!!! The main reasons this mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro was sold so long was...it was the LAST model 13" MacBook Pro that had:

- A non-Retina 13" display
- User upgradable RAM
- User upgradeable internal storage
- Built-in optical drive

It's still a 2012 design.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. I'm not necessarily saying this seller is selling junk...is not trustworthy...or doing anything obviously unethical. All I'm saying is the term "Manufacturer Refurbished" can mean almost anything (if Apple didn't do it). If it were Apple Refurbished...it would include 12 months of Applecare (just like any new computer Apple sells)...and it would qualify for extended Applecare (3 years of warranty coverage).

And I don't necessarily agree with $885 being a good price for mid-2012 computer design (even if it does have upgraded RAM and a 1TB SSD).

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
The ONLY "Manufacturer Refurbished" I trust is Apple refurbished. And if this was "Apple Refurbished"...it's very uncommon for it to be on eBay. If this is a "Trusted Seller"...I'm not sure this is Apple. If this eBay seller is not Apple...then the refurbishing process could be almost anything. Could be as little as making sure it turns on & giving it a quick cleaning.

It wasn't released in 2015...it's a Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro (an almost 5 year-old design). As member MightyGem mentioned above...Apple was still selling this model until fairly recently (discontinued October, 2016). But...the computer is still a mid-2012 design with mid-2012 technology. Thus you really are purchasing a 5 year old computer (5 year old design). As far as it's exact age since manufacturing. You would need the computers serial number to get it's exact manufacturing date.

But even if this computer was manufactured in 2015. It's still a mid-2012 design...and it will still have the "downsides" of any 5 year old computer.

FYI. Apple...USUALLY...releases new models once/year (sometimes twice/year). That's why there's an:

- Early 2013 13" MacBook Pro
- Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro
- Mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro
- Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro
- Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro
- Late 2016 13" (w/touchbar) MacBook Pro

As you can see...Apple has released 5-6 NEWER models of the 13" MacBook Pro since the model you are thinking of purchasing!!! The main reasons this mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro was sold so long was...it was the LAST model 13" MacBook Pro that had:

- A non-Retina 13" display
- User upgradable RAM
- User upgradeable internal storage
- Built-in optical drive

It's still a 2012 design.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area.

This was very helpful, I think i'm just going to get an extra 500 from my parents to purchase a newer one that is not ''refurbished'' thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was very helpful, I think i'm just going to get an extra 500 from my parents to purchase a newer one that is not ''refurbished'' thank you.

Don't be concerned about "refurbished"...as long as it's "Apple Refurbished".:) We recommend purchasing "Apple Refurb's" all the time!:) Apple refurb's are just like new (look and function just like new)...and they come with the exact same warranty as new computers. There's a refurb section on Apple.com...and you usually save at least 15% versus new.

Here's an example of a refurbished 2015 13" MacBook Pro for $1099 (save 15%):

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Keep in mind. 2013 13" MacBook Pro's and newer have soldered in non-user upgradeable RAM. You need to purchase the computer with as much RAM as you will ever need at the time of purchase. This also goes for the internal storage (need to purchase as much internal storage as you will ever need at time of purchase). Technically the internal storage is non-user upgradeable (according to Apple)...but it can be upgraded. But it is expensive. Just an FYI.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
The Pre-Retina 13" is a 1280x800 display. That's VERY big, and more and more web pages and applications are going to end up being as large if not larger than the viewable width of the display.

This model is no longer sold. It was the last legacy style "with an optical drive" thing Apple was still selling up to late last year. The 2012 and 2016 models of this laptop are 100% identical inside. They did not update the devices at all during this time.

16GB RAM for these in the US is dirt cheap. 1TB SSHDs are also very cheap. SSHDs are also slower and heavier than pure flash SSDs.

I actually sold one of these early in the year, in very good condition, an i7 model with 16GB and a 256GB SSD, for US $450. Where I live this is roughly what they go for on Craigslist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.