Is this a Virus or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
Today I received an email from an old friend with a website link on my iMac with OS Yosemitie. Upon clicking on it a window appeared with the following text.
http://system-kernel-disk-errorx005dsxx-microsoft-windows.errors9987.com

Possible Privacy Breach and Computer Error Detected Due to Suspicious Activity Found On Your Computer.

Contact A Certified Live Technician Now:

+44 (0800) 756-2985 (Toll Free)

Whether this was caused by my friend's email I am unable to say. I was then unable to access any website either with Safari or Firefox. I was reluctant to phone the number given as it may have been a scam to take money from credit card in exchange for a repair. Strange as it may seem I am able to use the computer for any other activity including emails. I am sending this from my MBP which isn't affected so far. I am reluctant to have both the iMac and MBP logged on at the same time to prevent cross contamination.
So, is this a virus and would an anti-virus app repair my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
*sigh*

NOT a virus. It's a scam. Period. Someone has either compromised your friend's email account and sending this scam to everyone in his address book, or there is malware of some sort (a worm, most likely) on his computer that has harvested all the contacts he had on his computer. Ignore the message.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your prompt reply Lifeisabeach. I am unable to ignore it as it stays on the screen and prevents me from using either Safari or Firefox. There must be a solution to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Safari > Reset Safari

check the box for Cookies for sure - can't remember all of them, not at a Mac now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your prompt reply Lifeisabeach. I am unable to ignore it as it stays on the screen and prevents me from using either Safari or Firefox. There must be a solution to this.

*smacks forehead* I totally overlooked that. My bad. If resetting Safari doesn't work (I doubt it will since this affects Firefox also), then try Adware Medic (see my signature).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am unable to download Adware Medic as I can't access anything with the browser.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safari > Reset Safari

check the box for Cookies for sure - can't remember all of them, not at a Mac now

What box should I check?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am unable to download Adware Medic as I can't access anything with the browser.

Ok, against my better judgement, I copied/pasted that first bit of text you provided, intending to do a Google search for the string. I completely overlooked the fact that it was a URL and omnibars being what they are, I didn't get a Google search but instead went to that website got the same "alert" you got. All I had to do was keep clicking OK until the popup went away and I was able to close that tab. Force-quitting Safari would have worked too. I'm using an ad blocker and Ghostery, so those may have saved me. Ah the heck with it.... gonna see what happens when I disable those. I'll update in a few...

UPDATE: nothing different... I was able to close the tab as before.

I quite frankly don't think you have adware or malware of any kind on your system. This scam is clearly targeting Windows users, and any malware that may have been present on that site wouldn't be able to run on OS X.

PS: Mods... you might should mask that link.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, after you click "OK" 10 times it goes away - you can then close that page - no harm no foul.

Been thinking about buying a Windows machine next - and being able to go to any page on the web without worries (as long as you don't install any of the auto downloads some of them have) is still a huge plus for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, after you click "OK" 10 times it goes away - you can then close that page - no harm no foul.

I just got to wondering if maybe he does have something on his system if Firefox is doing the same thing. Just clicking a URL wouldn't dump that into every browser on his Mac.

Are you not able to download it on your MacBook and move it to the iMac on a USB stick?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am back home again today and have gone through all your messages. I decided to try the easy one first. Congratulations and thank you bobtomay, you cracked it for me. I just kept on hitting the OK button and it went away. I didn't count the number of times I hit it. I am now a happy bunny.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.