Is there a way to restore other than "Restore"?

Reaction score
Sorry for the poorly worded header. I'm having a problem trying to restore my iPod 80g. Whenever I try to do it using the restore button in my "Summary" tab it freezes iTunes. Itunes is working fine, the culprit is the iPod. How do I restore the device without launching iTunes? Is there another app (or method) that does this (I tried to use Disk Utility, but same problem there.)?

Reaction score
You mention disk utility, have you tried formatting the iPod completely? Like erasing it?

OP
sekou
Reaction score
I was considering that, but I believe there's a warning saying I'd lose some of the iPod's functionality if I did an "Erase" in Disk Utility. Is that what you're refering to?

Reaction score
What that means is that the iPod won't really work after you erase the disk. You have to use the iPod Updater again after you erase it to put back the iPod software and formatting etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
There's software available from Apple to reset most iPods (Windows & Mac)
It gets installed in your utility folder.. Just make sure you download the correct software for your iPod. I've just grabbed the one for the 2nd Gen shuffle, just in case :)
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.