Is there a way to display the year on the desktop?

Reaction score
Hi. I have upgraded several times (currently on 10.10.1) and at every upgrade I tried to find a way to customize the date on the desktop to include the year. Is there a way to have the year display? To clarify, the date is always displayed thusly: day, month, day, time (no year). I have looked at all the System Preferances/Display tabs and can't find a way to customize it to display the year on the desktop. Thank you in advance for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I will "assume" you are talking about the date in the menu bar at the top of the screen rather than the desktop.

Still the same answer as here - link.

Not any way I know of to change the display of the date &/or add the year on the menu bar date from within the GUI of OS X since 10.8.

Never tried iStat recommended in that thread - wasn't worth that much to me just to change the format of the date in the menu bar.

Reaction score
Try Geektool. Can put calendar, time, all kinds of stuff on desktop.
Might not be what you're looking for.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never tried iStat recommended in that thread - wasn't worth that much to me just to change the format of the date in the menu bar.

The only app that I know of which can put the year along with the day month is the "istat Menus.app". However, it's probably not worth buying it just for that. I have and use "istat menus" but do not use it to display the date. I think I can keep track of what year it is without a reminder. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you're not using Yosemite, you can use the free Day-O, and then set its display settings to "EEE, MMM d, ''yy" instead of the default "E h:mm a" or anything else from his link to "Date Format Patterns" : UTS #35: Unicode Locale Data Markup Language

Day-O can be downloaded at: Day-O // ShaunInman.com

You should then end up with a date display in the menubar like so:

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 5.39.25 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He's using Yosemite, but that's a nice app. And it appears he will be updating it for Yosemite in the future. Like I said above, iStat Menus will also display the year but of course it does much more than that. It's not free though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
He's using Yosemite, but that's a nice app. And it appears he will be updating it for Yosemite in the future. Like I said above, iStat Menus will also display the year but of course it does much more than that. It's not free though.

Hmmm… I missed the OP's use of Yosemite, but I read the developers note differently:
"Update: I will not be updating Day-O for OS X Yosemite in the foreseeable future. …"

One could always try it and if it doesn't work in Yosemite, just add it to list of things that don't work with Yosemite. Too much and too many for me and even Mavericks broke some stuff for me. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right, looks like I missed that about not developing for Yosemite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.