Is the new iMac good?

Reaction score
Hi there. First of all I would like to say that I am new here, and apologize if this is on the wrong place.
I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out if the new iMac is the right choice for me. I currently don't have a computer nor laptop, therefore I don't have a monitor or hardware. I have always used a pc, but have used the older iMacs at my college campus, but this will be my first Mac to own.
The iMac that I am interested in is the 27" iMac that just came out. I would like to use it for watching movies/videos, listen to music, surf the web, convert videos/audio, and play games (like Ragnarok, Rose Online, Maplestory, WoW, Aion...). The specs that I chose were the i7 processor and 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 512MB.
My questions in regards to the hardware are:
Is the ATI Radeon 4850 with 512MB enough to play the games that I listed at high settings (at 1200x800 resolution)? Will it play videos with no problems, or any other graphic intesive software?
Is the graphics card better than the nvidia 8400m gt? (my previous computer had it)
Will the hardware be more than enough to run win xp or win 7 64 bit with no problem? (using boot camp).
Will the iMac overheat if I play games running on win xp or win 7? If so how could I lower the overall temps?
Does the iMac have good heat management (ie fans, heatsinks,...)? Is it better than a laptop?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I do buy this iMac I don't want to regret it. Thanks in advance for the help
smcfancontrol.

Download it and set your fan speeds to whatever you want. I have mine set to 3.5k default and it sits around 55-60 dg Celsius. One of the MOST have apps imo. When Im doing heavy **** like ripping or burning or watching a heavy movie I set the fans to MAX that way they never go lower than max speed and keep as much heat out as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27imac i7 8gig 4850, 2x24 imacs 4gig gt130, 15inch MBP 4gig 9600m, iphone, 3g,3gs,itouch
OP
A

Amu

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and heads-up :). So first thing that I should download is the control-fan app to bump up or down the fans speed, which I might have to bump up quite a lot then XD. So Win7 runs quite well then if I'm not mistakn :]? Awsome. Apple should just do great hardware and take over the pc market since it can already boot into windows. I wonder, will the HD be a bottleneck at all since it scored a little low? I hope santa is happy this year and gives me the iMac :p lol. Also, could anyone provide a video of the iMac booting into Windows and playing some of the games that I listed, or running any app? Thank you all once again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Bootcamp may not support 64 bit yet, but I believe that both VMFusion 3 and Parallels 5 do support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.