Is the 2009 Imac core 2 duo still a usable machine in 2014?

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 20'' Imac Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz (Early 2009 Model) for around $230 to $300, but a big concern is it still useful computer in terms of 2014 requirements?

I'm wanting something to browse the internet, iTunes, edit 1080p video occasionally, and maybe a bit of other creative suites like Photoshop. I'm also considering upgrading the ram to 8GB as well as installing a SSD (i know the older models can't utilize the SSD's full speed due to dated SATA connectors, but it's better than the 5400rpm that comes standard).

I have a custom built PC that is my main computer right now for creative suites and gaming, but i want something with a bit more of an ease with normal light tasks with the occasional video or Photoshop editing.

What is your thoughts? I chose the 2009 model since the late 2009 is going for usually $200 dollars more and up from there. I also considered a new Mac Mini, but i don't like the new 2014 model with the entire system un-upgradable.

I guess i wanting an entry computer for me to start using Mac OS X, but without completely breaking to bank for me.

C

chas_m

I'm considering buying a 20'' Imac Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz (Early 2009 Model) for around $230 to $300, but a big concern is it still useful computer in terms of 2014 requirements?

I'm wanting something to browse the internet, iTunes, edit 1080p video

Let me just stop you right there.

The video chipset in an early 2009 iMac just isn't going to handle 1080p well, full stop. It's the same GeForce 9400M that caused me to get rid of my 2009 MacBook Pro. It struggled with iPhoto, with Photoshop, Google Earth, anything graphics-intensive.

I would not recommend that machine for your stated needs.

OP
H
Reaction score
Ok i understand that it isn't good too much for anything graphic intensive, i already sort of assumed it wast going to do much in that department, especially that any nvidia still using the 9*** name is pretty dated. I'm a bit concerned more about the processing power.

I just don't want it to lag loading websites, flash, word processors, the OS X, that sort of thing. I'm not getting rid of my current computer anyway, i'm pretty sure it could beat this imac in almost anything graphic intesive. It's a secondary thing i suppose. I'm more or less wanting something that when i'm just wanting to write a paper, or surf the web i can do so at ease.

More or less something affordable and entry level to mac os x without completely turning me away from it with slow downs or getting a model year that is known not to age well.

C

chas_m

I'd suggest the 2012-era iMac or Mac mini. Not as cheap as a 2009, but FAR more capable of staying up-to-date for a while -- and, with lots of RAM and/or an SSD, very zippy indeed!

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it at all. I agree that honestly the nvidia 9 series is dated but you have to understand that on mac this was the same graphics chipset that caused a lot of failures and not minor one's. Both in macbook's as well as desktop's

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 iMac with this setup.

Yosemite, just upgraded recently.

3.06 GHz Intel core 2 duo
8 gb 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB graphics

It does very well for everything we need. My wife works from home using it and I use it for web browsing, music, manage my iPhotos, mail etc. I have used it for iMovie but not in a long time. (Nobody wants to watch my movies anyway) We've had no problems with word processing, printing, downloading (we don't download much video, mostly documents for my wife's work.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.