Is that Dock equivalent to System Tray

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first day of working on MAC OS.

I start to work with a Java application, I try to run an application which is run on Windows system tray.

When I use the same application on the MAC, it gives an exception that SystemTray is not supported in MAC. That means there is no SystemTray. So what is the equivalent item in MAC.

Is that anyone of you have a solution for this issue. I'm really wired on this.:[

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
It's Mac, not MAC.:)

There really isn't an exact equivalent. The closest thing would be the section of the menu bar at the top right of the screen, which shows time and the status of programs or devices you choose to place there. The Dock is more like a platform for launching and switching programs. A Java app which relies on the System Tray is unlikely to work in OS X, since the entire process on which it depends is nonexistent. Even though there are parts of the OS which in a sense provide the same functionality, the app will not know to use them to perform the equivalent actions.

What is the app by the way?

OP
I
Reaction score
Open a dialog

Thanks for the replay.

Actually is an application open on a click, a dialog box. It contains some controls and do some processing as well.

At least can I run it just as an application, where there should be an icon on the Dock.

I hope it's clear to you now. :)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Thanks for the replay.

Actually is an application open on a click, a dialog box. It contains some controls and do some processing as well.

At least can I run it just as an application, where there should be an icon on the Dock.

I hope it's clear to you now. :)

Is it a java app that you have written yourself? If so modify the code to check to see if the OS supports the system tray and if not then move the functionality of the popup menu to the application menu.

OP
I
Reaction score
Is it a java app that you have written yourself? If so modify the code to check to see if the OS supports the system tray and if not then move the functionality of the popup menu to the application menu.

Yes, actually I've written an application of Java to the System tray in Windows. Then I try to run the same application on Mac. But it's not support the System Tray. So I want to develop it in Mac. That's the problem I have.

Do you know any example regarding how to add a popup menu in application menu?

Thanks a lot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.