Is OSX/MaxOfferDeal.gen a threat?

Reaction score
Earlier this month I had an email from HP advising me about new software for managing my HP printer (LaserJet Pro MFP M426fdw) so I downloaded it. Today I ran a scan with Intego VirusBarrier and it came up with "Malware Found: OSX?MaxOfferDeal.gen" in two locations, HP Product Research Manager and HP Device Monitor Manger. I cannot delete them without changing the permissions on these items, which I am uncomfortable doing because they are deep in the system files. Can I just ignore this malware or should I do something about it, and if so, how can I do so safely?
Thanks for any help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This appears to be malware that causes pop-up ads to appear and redirects browsers to certain sites. Have a look at these directions and see if that solves things.

When you get to the section on removing it from your browser, you probably only need to look at the browser(s) you are using. Once you have followed the steps restart the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.