Is my Time Capsule dead?

Reaction score
My six-year-old Time capsule fails to connect to the Internet. I have done a hard reset, disconnected it, reconnected it from both power and the network hub. What else should I do before I call time on the old girl?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is the modem from your ISP showing a connection to the Internet? Have you tried calling your ISP to see if there is an issue on their side? From your description, it seems to be connecting to your local network, right?

OP
S
Reaction score
The home network works fine for all our domestic devices. The setup indicates the capsule is connected to the home network, but a message says no ethernet cable is found, yet the ethernet cable is definitely plugged into the home hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
And can I assume you tried a different cable? Tried plugging it into a different port on the home hub? Can you access it using the Airport utility on your mac?

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Tried all those things. The Time capsule is accessible through the Airport utility but it has a yellow triangle alongside it. In the past, it has had an orange dot and a red dot with the number 3 in to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you tap on the yellow triangle and see if there is a prompt as to the issue?

And it may be it has died....sorry!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In the past, it has had an orange dot and a red dot with the number 3 in to.

Wasn't one of those dots an indication that there was some sort of software upgrade or something??? But probably too late now.

And do I dare say that I am surprised that that Time Capsule had still been working as I thought they had all died by now.

They didn't seem to have the best reputation for longevity, at least not in my experience. ?
Too bad because they were theoretically a good design.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have four of them still working great. The only thing I use them for is as Time Capsule backups. I have had all three for many years - not sure just how many. All are still going strong.

Lisa

Reaction score
I have the same problem but just realized lately as I did not use much of it as backup anyways, not user-friendly and sometimes confusing. Does it have anything to do with my upgrade to macOS Big Sur? My MBP version is:MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

If I cannot connect, is there any way I can reset or remove the data before ditching it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We need more info to figure out the problem. I have an old Time Capsule I've been using off and on for years. It has been working fine under Monterey. In fact, I accessed some files on it two or three days ago.

One thing to keep inn mind though is that the hard drives inn those units are getting older. There is always the chance of drive failure. If mine fails I might look into replacing the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Wasn't one of those dots an indication that there was some sort of software upgrade or something??? But probably too late now.

And do I dare say that I am surprised that that Time Capsule had still been working as I thought they had all died by now.

They didn't seem to have the best reputation for longevity, at least not in my experience. ?
Too bad because they were theoretically a good design.

I have one still going strong here. I actually just replaced its HDD last year to increase the capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The home network works fine for all our domestic devices. The setup indicates the capsule is connected to the home network, but a message says no ethernet cable is found, yet the ethernet cable is definitely plugged into the home hub.

I would honestly be gobsmacked if the port and just that port has failed. Not saying impossible, but highly improbable. Have you restarted the cable modem? And to be absolutely certain.... the ethernet cable coming from the modem is plugged into the bottom port on the Time Capsule?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have one still going strong here. I actually just replaced its HDD last year to increase the capacity.

That is good to hear, and I wonder how many "failed" Time Capsules were discarded due to drive failure???

Drive replacement doesn't seem to be an insurmountable task for one of the airport models:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...not user-friendly and sometimes confusing.

Apple Time Capsules are very very easy to setup & use. Pretty much any other method will be more confusing & difficult. TC is easy to setup...and then it's all automatic. Also...not that many other systems out there that will do backups wirelessly.:)

If I cannot connect, is there any way I can reset or remove the data before ditching it?

Depends what the issue is (could be as simple as TC is not connected to the proper WiFi network)...if you're connecting via WiFi. On the other hand if the hard drive is failing or failed...this could be more serious (need HD replacement).

But as far as the data on the TC. If you haven't had any problems with the devices being backed up to the TC...no real reason to get access to the data anyway.:)

Also...if you have no backup system currently in place...would be advisable to get one in place quickly...just in case there is an issue. Issues rarely give you any warnings...any storage device in any device could suddenly fail at any point.

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I also (relatively recently) replaced the HD in my Time Capsule. It's probably a 10 year old model...and I figured after that long...probably a good idea to replace the HD before it fails.

Upgrade also included a storage increase from 1TB to 2TB.:)

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.