Is my MBP's keyboard backlight alright?

Reaction score
Hey lovely folks.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro here and I'm not 100% sure the backlight of the keyboard is really as it should be.

Take a look:

68kpfwE7u.jpg

First off the light under the spacebar are clearly uneven.
Then, the left side starting from the 5, R, G, V seems brighter than the right side.
I did some research and the only keys that should have different backlighting are the "7" and the "B" ones.

Warranty is long gone but I have another top-case with keyboard from a friend's old macbook.
So I'm wondering whether I should try to replace it or not. It's such a time-consuming task that I would only risk doing it if I knew for sure my current topcase has an issue or not. Imagine replacing everything only to find out they were the same...

What do you guys think?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
C

chas_m

It's perfectly normal for that model. The keys are not individually lit -- it's a strip of light, so it is quite uneven. You may want to invest in a new MacBook or MacBook Pro to get individually-lit keys if that's important to you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do OCD a bit about my tech stuff but at least I know the other topcase will exhibit the same behavior.

@chas_m No, it's not that important, I like my macbook as it has a matte lcd and 2x 1tb SSD. I expect it to last 2 more years. I just wanted to know if I could improve it by replacing the topcase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.