Is my Mac tracking me?

Reaction score
I've noticed that when I go to the Genius Bar with a problem, they ask when it occurred. Then they go to a file, and scroll down. It occurs to me that they would only do this if my Mac was keeping a running record of all my activities. I use DuckDuckGo for my research to avoid such a record. Is it pointless to do so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Not only does your Mac track you, so does the CIA.. Hide while you can, they are coming for you Neo and I dont know what they will do when they catch you... :p

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forum.

I can't say exactly what the Apple Genius is opening, but I've a fair guess that it might be the "Recent Items" folder.

If you go into System Preferences > General then look at the bottom of the pane, you'll see a box with "Recent Items" within which you can choose how many "Items" or "Activities" you wish your Mac to remember. Choose None.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, Ian, but as it flashes by, it looks like a system log. Again, I have no secrets from the Genii, but the idea that others can follow my research path worries me. The idea that my train of thought is parked somewhere in the marshalling yard when it is not running does not feel secure :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Look in Applications/Utilities and run Console. Look at all the logs!
This is what the Apple genius is looking at.

C

chas_m

This is not Apple tracking you. It is a LOCAL log of DISK ACTIVITY. The most it could "reveal" about you is what applications you recently used, and for how long. But again, only someone with PHYSICAL ACCESS to the machine could get at this information. Take the tinfoil hat off and use it to bake a potato!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.