Is Mosaic Still Available?

Reaction score
Some friends of our are hanging on to an OLD desktop that they only keep because of the photo program MOSAIC. they say it is not available anymore...I do not know what OS they are running. Is it available open source or some other MAC compatible program?

OP
P
Reaction score
I see 247 views, no responses...does anyone know of this program to which I am referring? It shows an image that gets progressively smaller. As it gets smaller, other images from your selected folder begin to appear on the screen, also getting smaller until they are all really tiny and 'create' the image of the 'next' photo and the process begins again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The number of views does not reflect the number of times our members have viewed your post. Our site receives many hits from Google, Bing, and other search engines.

The only "Mosaic" that I and many others are familiar with dates back many years to the original web browser available with Windows that many of the modern web browsers are based on. I have never heard of Mosaic for the Mac but that does not mean it wasn't real.

Mosaic Web Browser

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the response...It is definitely old, and definitely on their MAC desktop...so, nothing anymore??

hmmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the response...It is definitely old, and definitely on their MAC desktop...so, nothing anymore??

Agree w/ Chscag - did not look at your post initially because I only remember Mosaic as one of the first web browsers after the WWW came into existence - believe I may have started w/ it on a Windows machine but quickly migrated to Netscape.

But to address your question, I have no idea about the program you're discussing, however, did a Google search and came up w/ this HIT - below a screen capture from the page - might this be the app under discussion? If so, let us know. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 6.14.00 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Another oldie here who remembers the Mosaic browser. My first browser was SpryNet Mosaic back in '96 I believe.

I did a search in App Store and at least 7 Mosaic picture programs popped up.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Could you perhaps be thinking of the screensaver function that was part of Leopard? See here for a demo. If so, everything I've read says it is not functional since Lion.

There's probably a third-party app with similar functionality.

OP
P
Reaction score
YES!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY IT!! the leopard mosaic screensaver. So, maybe i'll search around for a third party app...but apple is done with it, you say??? Too bad..it is really quite cool...drat...thanks for the searching. if anyone finds that 3rd party, do tell...I'll do the same when time allows..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was only able to do a bit of research last night but everything I say says it is broken/missing as of 10.7 and higher.

I'll poke around a bit and see what I find as well. Do you think they would like
the one demoed here. There is a link to the app store version of the program below the video.

A search for Mac screensaver should turn up something with similar functionality. The screensaver built into OS X can display the pictures in a rotation but doesn't put them in a mosaic / collage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.