Is Mac really for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 in. 2.4 GHz
I need you to go to http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13 and http://www.apple.com/support/ to tell everybody there that they're mistaken because their macs are working perfectly fine.....

I understand the differences in stability of the two OSs.

I used to have a Macintosh a long time ago when I was about 8 years old. I messed with that computer forever... and nothing bad happened. My parents wouldn't let me on the Windows based PC because they were afraid that I would break it.

Yes.. that was a long time ago, but from everything I hear, it hasn't changed much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The hardware on the Mac is NOT topnotch, it's the same. .

This is only true of other tier one manufacturers. All bets are off on 'bargain brands'. It's just like the price arguments. Prices amongst tier one manufacturers are pretty consistent. It's the bargain branded ones (that typically use cheaper parts) that are much lower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
What hasn't changed much? The Apple Operating System? Well if it's been as many years as you led me to believe, you have no clue how well OS X works over OS9 / Classic. That's not a bad thing - You are in for quite a pleasant surprise.

Go for the Mac. And don't forget, there are a lot of people here and out there that are using Mac's for a reason. Regardless of what they may have you believe.

And as for hardware, there is no way any Dell has the quality of construction as an Apple. PC user's have been complaining about the lack of quality in PC's like Dell & HP for some time now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 in. 2.4 GHz
What hasn't changed much? The Apple Operating System? Well if it's been as many years as you led me to believe, you have no clue how well OS X works over OS9 / Classic. That's not a bad thing - You are in for quite a pleasant surprise.

Mac OS 8.1 I believe. And I was just saying that I suppose that whatever OS macs run on have remained stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotcha.

I also meant to include, I never put much into the PC is better than the Mac for gaming. Probably because I've never utilized a personal computer for gaming. I would suggest you buy a Mac for personal computing, including the use of Photoshop, etc, and buy a game console (X-Box or Wii) for games.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 in. 2.4 GHz
Gotcha.

I also meant to include, I never put much into the PC is better than the Mac for gaming. Probably because I've never utilized a personal computer for gaming. I would suggest you buy a Mac for personal computing, including the use of Photoshop, etc, and buy a game console (X-Box or Wii) for games.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

I do own an xbox 360, but there are just some games exclusive to computer that I want to play. So I guess I'm in good shape.

Reaction score
Macbook Pros "well priced"? I won't go into breakdowns of price lists, but I can tell you that MBPs are generally considered to be very expensive for what they are. Oh, and the 8600M GT, as I've said in other posts, is hardly awesome. It's a mediocre, crippled chipset. It is the best Mac laptop users have available though.
all uve done is put down the macs in ur last two posts. Why dont u tell us how u really feel???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
buy a game console (X-Box or Wii) for games.

I just can't bring myself to game on a console. Nothing beats a computer for gaming. The graphics difference alone makes it a much better experience IMO.

As a Mac and Windows user I would have to say Macs are not for everyone. I think the decision to switch to Mac should be carefully considered before you make the jump. If you are willing to learn OS X and do things "the Mac way", and don't mind booting into windows under bootcamp for your games, the I think you will be very happy with a mac. I have a top of the line homemade Vista machine for gaming, a Mac Pro for serving up media to the rest of the house and processor intensive tasks, a MacBook Pro for my daily computer use, and a Dell Win XP laptop for my wife because she hates Vista and doesn't want to learn Mac OS X. I like OS X and would highly recommend it but some people just don't like it or are unwilling to learn how to use it. I would go to an Apple store or an authorized reseller and try one out before buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
Wow... I never expected to get so many replies.
Thanks to everyone for help to decide to... buy a mac. Yay! :D

I guess my friend was talking more about iLife and the extra software that you can buy for mac. I'm still not sure what EXACTLY he's talking about.

Now I just have to work out a deal with my parents... Wish me luck.

Which Mac are you going to get?

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
I need you to go to http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13 and http://www.apple.com/support/ to tell everybody there that they're mistaken because their macs are working perfectly fine.

The hardware on the Mac is NOT topnotch, it's the same.

I have no idea where this myth of needing to reinstall the Windows OS every year comes from, and these security updates are JUST as frequent as Mac's Software Update coming in to tell me I should upgrade my security and a few other programs I never use as well.

The whole "Getting a confirmation when a window closes" also confuses me, because I never got that except for Firefox, which happens on the Mac as well.

True, you don't get the experience of "This program has hit an error" and closes the window. In my experience, it just closes on its own without telling me what's going on. Yes, things crash on a mac. The programs that have this happen more often than other programs are my Adobe software and web browsers (I switch from Firefox to Safari).

Someone said it already, but the differences between mac (PC) and Windows (PC) is just the OS. The whole adware, virus, etc... can be easily avoided. My Windows machine that I've been using for nearly half a decade has only been infected with cookies that says where I've been. I've gotten absolutely no viruses or anything. It's all about how careful you are. I love Leopard's mail, iPhoto, and iCalendar. Adium is OK. I prefer AIM 6+ on Windows so I can listen to the Satellite Radio as I chat. Launching programs are easier on OS X, especially with Quicksilver. The whole virus thing is how it is now. As it stands we're just as much in danger as any computer user, it's just that we have no weapons aiming towards us right now. Instead of a confirmation that asks you to do anything, like Vista, you have to input your admin password for OS X (but not to do as many things such as installing programs. But you still have to do it almost 75% as much with anything modifying your system).

Mac is less customizable than a Windows machine and almost anything you want to do on a mac, flashy-wise, can be done on a Windows PC. Expose had it's own thing (forgot what it's called) since XP, for example. Spaces...well no that was for Linux which has been doing it for years called "Desktops" but I think Windows now has it. Hardforum has a good show of good customized desktops: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=753262
n179800142300360889255os1.jpg

OP, ignore the quoted post and the others that assume what Windows is, listen to everyone else that has a more balanced view; they're more objective. My own $.02? I love both platforms. I don't game, really, anymore. I've had success with both OS's in my professional field. But I have to say, notebook-wise, I'd rather get the Macbook Pro over any laptop. But the Dell M1330 is also a good one to look at. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DYDWTF1&s=dhs

Or you get the Dell M1730. It has "more hardware" and even color choices (has a built-in fingerprint scanner for the 1330, I know that, for starters) and as with all Windows machine (in my experience) you can tell them to install XP rather than Vista. Don't listen to those who say Vista isn't stable. In actuality, Vista is very stable and those with some experience will say that it has crashed less than OSX has; it's problem is that it's very resource heavy with unnecessary features (that last one is personal opinion).
They use the SAME PARTS????? What have YOU been smoking? My Imac and the powerbook ARE NOT made of cheap plastics!!! I have not seen many PCs with a Glass covered screen!..Yes, chips are chips and cpus are cpus to a certain degree... Virus' ????? I have Built many PCs, and work with Programers who fix WINDOWS... THEY ALL SAY, WINDOWS IS JUNK!!!! As many updates??? One on my mac.... Here is what I love about my Imac... When I turn it on, it returns the favor, unlike my PCs that hopefully would turn on and hopefully turn off...Apple Products are Superior to what anyone else has out there... Microsoft imitates and Apple INNOVATES!!!! I have had many virus's on my Pcs, along with the BSOD and the Fatal Exception errors, and who can forget this one, "Do you want to send this report to Microsoft?"...I see folks like myself switching to Mac, but I don't see many switching from Mac to Pcs.... Oh and I know what you are thinking.... I have trouble with Pcs because I don't know how to use them....That's what I love about Mac... I don't need to know how to use them... They just work...

Reaction score
OP, ignore the quoted post and the others that assume what Windows is, listen to everyone else that has a more balanced view; they're more objective.

I agree. Both have pros and cons. OS X didnt fall out of the sky from god. Its just that simple. You can go to a Windows forum, and they will list every single reason why they think you should get a PC and not a Mac, it will be the same situation as over here, but in reverse.

I like OS X alot more. Its because I like the UI, the "look" and the lack of viruses. My roommates desktop is running XP and feels faster than mine, dispite the processor being a tad slower (same amount of ram) and he is virus free, he has no idea even how to defrag his drive, and has never reinstalled the OS. And it is a few years old, and works great. I play starcraft on it. The only thing he does is run his free anti virus software once a week.

My parents desktop runs vista. And I actually thought it was pretty neat, and then I heard all the raving about it and was confused. It was a reasource hog, other than that, I didnt notice anything too bad. (It did look bad though, all the programs didnt match each other at all)

Im not defending Windows, just trying to be fair. Its not like Microsoft has a total pile of crap out there, otherwise I think we would be seeing alot more switching.

and who can forget this one, "Do you want to send this report to Microsoft?"

I get the "Do you want to send this report to Apple" boxes the same amount as I have seen on any Windows machine.

Oh and I know what you are thinking.... I have trouble with Pcs because I don't know how to use them....That's what I love about Mac... I don't need to know how to use them... They just work...

That just makes no sense. Im sorry. But thats even one of the main concerns with switching over. Is learning a new operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well from my experiences using Windows, and from other's still using Windows PC's - Basically unlike myself, most have always claimed they need the PC for work, MS Office, and such - Along with the age old excuse Mac's are more expensive.

Jump ahead to the Intel era, their claims no longer hold water. And as for price, you get what you pay for. But don't be totally fooled, switching is on the rise according to market reports.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I get the "Do you want to send this report to Apple" boxes about 3 or so times a day.

I only get that with Safari maybe once a month or so. Rare that anything else I use on OSX to get that report to Apple box.

I really never get the report to microsoft one in Windows XP either.

Reaction score
Maybe I exaggerate ;D

But still, same amount as Windows. I changed it for ya dtrav.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe I exaggerate ;D

But still, same amount as Windows. I changed it for ya dtrav.

You did not have to change it. :D It will be different depending on how you use your machine and maybe even the machine itself. I rarely get any crash's with OSX or Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
They use the SAME PARTS????? What have YOU been smoking? My Imac and the powerbook ARE NOT made of cheap plastics!!! I have not seen many PCs with a Glass covered screen!..Yes, chips are chips and cpus are cpus to a certain degree... Virus' ????? I have Built many PCs, and work with Programers who fix WINDOWS... THEY ALL SAY, WINDOWS IS JUNK!!!! As many updates??? One on my mac.... Here is what I love about my Imac... When I turn it on, it returns the favor, unlike my PCs that hopefully would turn on and hopefully turn off...Apple Products are Superior to what anyone else has out there... Microsoft imitates and Apple INNOVATES!!!! I have had many virus's on my Pcs, along with the BSOD and the Fatal Exception errors, and who can forget this one, "Do you want to send this report to Microsoft?"...I see folks like myself switching to Mac, but I don't see many switching from Mac to Pcs.... Oh and I know what you are thinking.... I have trouble with Pcs because I don't know how to use them....That's what I love about Mac... I don't need to know how to use them... They just work...

It's people like you that make me want to go back to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Mac IS FOR EVERYONE! THERE IS NO OTHER WAY!!

Okay Im kidding. :)
It varies by each person and their collective experience with computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's people like you that make me want to go back to Windows.
That makes absolutely no sense. You'd be tempted to go back to a PC because of someone's opinion - valid or not?

Okay then.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No person will make me change what OS or computer I use. I use what I like and really do not care what anyone thinks or says. I know what works for me and why.

Please, lets keep this thread Civil and on Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.