Is it worth getting the extended Apple Care Protection Plan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 1 GB Memory
I'm going to purchase a Macbook (White, 2.16 GHz, 1 GB Ram, 120 GB Hard drive).

I'd prefer to save the money and go without the extended, 3 year, apple protection plan, however, I would like to know if that's a bad idea.

Reaction score
omg thats the exact macbook im getting

yes it is very worthwile incase it gets damaged or needs repairing and ive read a lot of threads of when people's macs have problems (not meaning to scare you) but i would suggest getting it and apple's customer service is apparently excellent :D

OP
BrettCommandeur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but I heard that it doesn't protect against you dropping it or something like that.

Is that true?

Reaction score
Thanks, but I heard that it doesn't protect against you dropping it or something like that.

Is that true?

ummm im not exactly sure there warranty thing is on their site somewhere

but what i do know is if you install ram or something that doesn't void your warranty :D

Edit: No they wouldn't because everyone would just go around dropping their macs saying it was an "accident" so they can get a new one :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Dude definatly get it. I have an Ibook and my friend's got a macbook, we've both sent in at least 3 times each and its only been a year and a couple months that I have had mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Notebook = portable = goes out in the world and gets torqued around, stuff plugged in and out, and generally treated harsher = yes get AppleCare.

I got AppleCare for mine, and come payday we'll be getting it for my wife's Macbook (hers doesn't travel as much as mine.)

Already I've had a warrantee repair which I might not have noticed until after the warrantee expired, but still. Your LCD backlight might go out, your hard drive might start clicking on you, trackpad might start acting weird, a key might pop out spontaneously, mag-safe might start fraying, might get a static hit, who knows? Having the AppleCare gives you a nice insurance that you can get it fixed even if stuff happens that isn't caused by abuse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16GHZ, 1G mem, 120HD
Im on the exact computer right now..Very good choice

and yes get the protection plan. My computer is under warranty till 2010. And by 2010 after its probably time for a new one anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I'm going to purchase a Macbook (White, 2.16 GHz, 1 GB Ram, 120 GB Hard drive).

I'd prefer to save the money and go without the extended, 3 year, apple protection plan, however, I would like to know if that's a bad idea.

It depends. I have a MB that's almost a year old. I haven't had any problems at all, and I don't have AppleCare. I'd rather save that cash for a new laptop later down the road. Sure, it's risky, but I haven't had any problems with it at all. One kernel panic, that's it.

But also, I've worked as a PC technician and I'm currently an electrical engineering student, so most of the problems that I suspect I would have, I could fix. That is, assuming I don't need any parts from Apple... or if the damage is serious, such as smashing the screen. I take very good care of my laptop and I'm very gentle with it, so I don't have a reason to purchase the plan.

If you're competent enough to fix your own problems, then you should not need it. I usually do NOT warranties on most of my electronic products. I haven't had a breakdown with anything, to the best of my memory. If my MB is damaged somehow, and I can't fix it -- I'd probably sell it on eBay for a decent amount and buy a new (& different) laptop with a few hundred added.

tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz blac-book
BestBuy offers a Performance Service Plan and also offers accidental damage protection. I used to work there and I would recommend it. I bought mine there and am going to buy the plan before a year goes by. I think it's around 329 or something for the service plan and it covers it for 3 years, but don't quote me on that.

[By law in Cali. at least, you can purchase any warranty/service plan within the manufacturer's warranty. Apple = 1 year.]

I had them service my Toshiba Sattelite 3 times in 2 years, I was hoping it would f*xx up one more time so they would replace it, but it didn't in time.

Tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450Mhz 1Gb Ram, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25Gb RAM
save your money...

to be honest u'll be covered for the first yr anyway..
Also your statutory rights will cover you aswell..
I'm pretty sure that the protection plan wont cover you on any accidental damage so if you drop it or spill something on it.. u aint covered (that is where ur house contents insurance comes in handy)
But if anything becomes faulty by it's self you are covered from:
1) 1yr complimentary cover
2) ur statutory rights
check it out:
http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/legalhelp/leaflet13.jsp?section=4&lang=en

Even tho I have an iBook G4 that is well over the cover.. i'm going to try to claim a new logic board with my statutory rights because it is an extremely well know fault with the ibook so is definatly apples fault it is broken..
*fingers crossed*

And by the time ur yr of comlimentary support runs out u might want a new one anyway...

p.s.
I'm getting a macbook aswell..
But i'm going to wait till leopard comes out because it is rumoured that they'll b bringing out a new model of macbook... which might have a better spec...
I'm going to wait and see.. but also would be nice to get leopard in the price tag aswell...

tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz blac-book
Best Buy does offer an ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE plan. It's around 100 for 1 yr or 330 for 3 years. Yes, I said ACCIDENTAL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Hmm...lets see....

Replacing Logic Board - $800
Replacing screen - $800-1200

I got it on mine b/c my iBook G4, that didnt have Applecare, broke and it would have cost over $700 to fix it....so I just got a new Macbook. Its worth it just for the peace of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
AppleCare saved me about $3,600 on repairs for my powerbook, I highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Check out LA Computer Co., Applecare $190 shipped, I bought it there no problems.

OP
BrettCommandeur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the feedback.
I've decided on getting the apple care plan after looking more into what's covered.
I really do want it before school starts so sadly I don't think I'm gunna wait for the new models.
As for saving my cash for a new one, I'm not that kinda guy. I'll have this computer for a long time.

Thanks again.

T

todd51

I just got ordered it last night for my MBP, I think it will be worth it. I couldn't imagine how mad I would be if the HD died, or the screen backlight went out in the middle of the school year and having to pay large amounts of money to get it fixed.

It also will cover my charger and everything else so I'm happy I got it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | 1.58Ghz Mac mini G4 1GB RAM, 200GB firewire HD
I got Applecare on my Blackbook (a little over a month old now) and got it for $190 from Small Dog Electronics (great Mac dealer, btw).

I worked as a PC repair tech for years and managed computer repair at a very busy Best Buy store for a couple years too. Notebook computers are the most expensive computers to repair by far. And Mac's in general use premium parts with lower production runs than their Dell counterparts. An Apple Care plan is a very good idea for a laptop, IMHO. I did NOT buy one for my Mac Mini because there is no expensive screen to replace.

hope you enjoy your new Macbook as much as I love mine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
I'm about to pay for a new superdrive in my 18 month old iMac at a cost of £150 to £250. I believe my applecare would have covered it and some. Yes, get it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
if you know your computer will not break within in three years then dont get it
if you know your computer will break in three years then get it

long story short, the choice is up to you, y ou might save yourself a few hundred bucks by not getting it, or by trying to save a few hundred bucks it might cost you close to three grand

-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.