Is it wise to buy a refurbished iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First Mac Plus 1987
Is it wise to buy a refurbished iMac over a new one to save just $200? I plan on purchasing the extended warranty. I'm a newbie member and have been using PC's all these years. However, I bought a new Mac Plus back in '87 (I think?). Most of you probably don't remember the little b/w boxes they were when they first came out. We had a big MAC club back then trading free soft ware and it was allot of fun, we've come a long way since then.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...nothing wrong with a refurbished Mac...as long as it's coming from the Apple Store!

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
new Mac Plus back in '87 (I think?). Most of you probably don't remember the little b/w boxes they were when they first came out. We had a big MAC club back then trading free soft ware and it was allot of fun, we've come a long way since then.

Oh yes we remember, some of us still have and use our Classic Macs:D

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First Mac Plus 1987
How about the mini?

I do light weight word processing (writing a book) and I go to school for Photoshop classes. I store my photos and fool around Photoshopping my images. iTunes for my iPod and surfing the internet and that's about all I use my computer for. Wouldn't a Mac Mini serve my purposes? I have a brand new HP 22" flat panel monitor I'm happy with, will it be compatable with a Mini Mac? Which Mini should I consider?
Thanks for the advice.
Buddy

C

chas_m

A mac mini would probably do you just fine. An iMac would be more powerful of course, but from your description a Mac mini would be perfectly adequate and a lot cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Only sheaper if the original poster has a spare display to use with the Mac Mini. As screen + Mac Mini does start approaching the price range of the imac.

Reaction score
I do light weight word processing (writing a book) and I go to school for Photoshop classes. I store my photos and fool around Photoshopping my images. iTunes for my iPod and surfing the internet and that's about all I use my computer for. Wouldn't a Mac Mini serve my purposes? I have a brand new HP 22" flat panel monitor I'm happy with, will it be compatable with a Mini Mac? Which Mini should I consider?
Thanks for the advice.
Buddy

You may need a video cable adapter for your flat panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.