• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is it just me?

F

fade

So, I went looking for a recipe my father sent me today, only to discover that I haven't cleaned out my downloads folder in quite some time. Where on earth does all this junk come from? Or am I just that bad about file organization?

Just one of those days I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
LOL, yeah I know exactly what you mean.

When I was archiving my Mac Pro I realised that I had 137 items in my download folder. I don't think I emptied it since I put SL on and probably about 100 of those files were just junk.

So I am now archiving my Download folder to an external HDD once a month to keep it under control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My Downloads folder has 75 items in it. Is that a whole lot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I actually never use my Downloads folder. I tell all my web browsers to download to my Documents folder which I go to daily using Finder. Since I go to it daily I clean it up more often because it's too much clutter if I don't.

Also because I use Finder rather then going to the folder from the Dock in Stacks I have more options for organization and deletion. Unless I've missed it I don't see an option to delete things when using Stacks. I have to open it in Finder. I can see why people would get lazy about deleting because of that. It's also less work if I do it daily which is only like 1-3 files to delete or organize a day.

Most of my downloaded files are temporary files so I just delete them right after I finish using them such as installing an app I downloaded from the internet. It's very quick to do so when I'm already in Finder. The rest I just move them to the correct folder I want to store them in.

OP
F

fade

The worst part was seeing my laziness in action. I had 4 copies of my syllabus for my math class last semester. Apparently, I was too lazy to find the other 3 that I had downloaded. All the PDF's I downloaded while doing research for papers that I didn't use and/or never organized. Little things like that.

Oh, and I had well over 300 files in mine... Just since September of last year. Lots of dmg's for programs I've tried. Documents that I've emailed for one reason or another. Heck, there were 5 copies of my resume. Quite a few school related items. Some music my brother made and sent to me. .torrent files for my never ending linux addiction. It's just funny to see all of it all at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
The worst part was seeing my laziness in action. I had 4 copies of my syllabus for my math class last semester. Apparently, I was too lazy to find the other 3 that I had downloaded. All the PDF's I downloaded while doing research for papers that I didn't use and/or never organized. Little things like that.

You are not alone. That sounds exactly like my downloads folder. I used to be so organized and everything moved from there to its proper folder, but it just hasn't been happening lately. Sigh . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Funnily I clear my downloads folder as soon as I have unstuffed or used the thing I have downloaded. Same with documents too. Once the item is where it's needed, clear the folder.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My downloads folder use to look like that. Had over 200 items in it at one time. From apps to Amazon music to Audible books. It was like 10GB in size... and was backing up to my Time Machine backup... ooops.

I still download tons of stuff. So, finally got in the habit of cleaning it out once every week or so and manage to keep it under 10-20 items most of the time now... and of course removed it from the TM backup list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
I maximize my downloads folder to the fullest. I have it on my stock and have every thing transfered there. I'm very OCD when it comes to organization with every thing on my computer. I'm in the same boat as kev, I clear things out as soon as I don't need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.